• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Guess who ordered one of these

mine were disposable ---- use it a couple of times and then toss it when it wouldn't hold up one wheel on the rear of my van

Shoot, I know how to take stuff back, hehe.

I occasionally, buy "throw away" tools at HF, but somethings aren't worth saving money on, such as a good jack. That's a tool I want to completely trust.

I think that is fine for a lightweight car.
It's certainly easy to pick up and carry around.

After my last one broke I went and got a 3.5 ton service jack.
To get it from my street to my shed I hook up the trailer to the garden tractor and haul it.
One thing I am sure of, when I jack something up it's staying up.

Unfortunately I am one of those people who tend to continue using things after they start failing. I guess I kind of test the true failing point of my stuff. This is not a good thing to do with a floor jack. As soon as it develops any sign of failure you have to get rid of it. Hopefully before the big one.

I'm happy with my 120 pound floor jack - even if it takes a tractor to move it.

My advice is to only use any jack long enough to get a jack stand or other support under it. I never get under a car without a rigid support of some sort even if it's just there as a backup to the jack. The 3 ton Craftsman comes with two stands for $99 and it's pretty sturdy. Lately I have been using one of the aluminum NASCAR style jacks because it goes low enough to get under my '04 Cooper which is lower than a Sprite. After all, even a LBC at 1500 lbs can kill you. Safety First Always!

sqbsprite said:
My advice is to only use any jack long enough to get a jack stand or other support under it. I never get under a car without a rigid support of some sort even if it's just there as a backup to the jack.

Definitely!

I got aluminum floor jack that HF sells been using it to pick up the race cars and MGs for like 4 years now, no problems. I got a old heavy as heck Craftman steel jack for the heavier stuff, however the aluminum HF jack did jack up a 28ft fully loaded to the gills enlosed trailer one time, I used it to change a tire on the trailer one time.

I have exactly that same jack, Jack :smile: except that I bought it in a package deal with a pair of axle stands for $29.99.

Perfectly adequate for our babies.

I already have the stands and will not even change a tire in the garage without them. Guess the older you get the more careful you become.

My good 35 year old craftsman jack gave up for the second time and would cost more to fix than the HF stand. I know I know craftsman is better.

But then I don't have another 35 years left. sigh.

No matter how much you pay for a jack or who's name is on it NEVER trust it, jackstands is the way! (and now if I would only practice what I preach....)
Bill

I've a Sears 1.5T floor jack here too, it blew a seal while "on loan" (yeah, yeah, I ~KNOW~!) and I had to ORDER the kit from Sears... $80!!!!! Meanwhile went to the local Chinouis distributors and got a BIGGER one (2.5T) for about the same dollars. After five years it still works fine.
The only thing a jack is for is to make placing the stands a bit easier, IMO. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Amen to the jack stands. My feelings about safety is to regurally do those things that keep you from hurting yourself or others during that moment of no thought. My last moment was not putting a chisil in a pair of vise grips before attempting to strike it with a big ball pein hammer. I knew better before the incident yrs ago, a I still remember the pain.