• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Getting Excited, Are you

44B

Well, if you have kept track these last few days here, I am new to the Triumph world. I posted a intro in the new comers area if you wish to catch up. Today was an exciting day for me. Last night I found a 1974 TR6 for sale on eBay that was only 70 miles away so I sent a message to the owner and asked if I could come check it out. He call this morning and said, come on down. Now if you don’t know, I am so new, this was the first time that I have seen a TR6. Upon arrival, my expectations were right on. I was drawn to this car by its physical stance and sexy body contouring, but was really surprised on its size. I say that because I never have sat in one and just didn’t know, but turns out, I like it more than I expected. I did not however get the chance to drive it. Overwhelmed by my excitement, I failed to inform the seller that I wasn’t a buyer, so I didn’t impose on him the question of a test drive. I really felt bad for doing that, but felt even worse for the situation that the seller was in. He bought the car last December, and really didn’t know what he had gotten him self into. To top all that off, he probably was asking $2K - $3k over on a reasonable price for the condition it was in. I don’t want to air his dirty laundry any more I just want to inform all that My experience was awesome considering the situation and I hope the best for him. So let me cut to the chase and ask all that read this for help in answering a few some what broad questions I have to help me decide for sure if the TR^ is right for me.

• Not to sure yet in the years of which model did not have the black bumpers
• What would $15k get me in today’s market?
• What can I expect for the driving experience?
• How versatile are component upgrades? I.e.; brakes, suspension, engine
• What would be the most common thing to expect to go wrong?

After today, I am two step closer to getting one of these beauties, and I will say the welcome and support of all you guys makes it that much more soothing in this venture that I find myself in. Thanks for your Help

-44B

Happy Easter 44B,

As I had mentioned in your previous intro. The "BIG" black re-bound bumpers started in "1974". "Personally" I don`t like them! The "Chrome Bumper" versions always maintain a higher re-sale value & draw buyers in the event you sell your car:

If your willing to spend $15K on a TR6; You should expect to get a very nice "Restored" Orig. car. Check out ebay; The Classifieds here; The VTR site & the "6 Pack" site for comparables:

Parts etc. are "Very Easy" to come-by from several suppliers: Moss Motors, Victoria British as just a couple of Large Suppliers:

When you buy the car (Especially for $15K); You should enjoy the "Quick, Positive Handling", Peepy little thing for a "6 Banger", Comfortable Ride (Not too Comfortable) & Of course, That "Wind in Your Face" feeling is just undescribable. One thing you`ll find; Its going to be a bit a difficult to stop telling people "What kind of car is that"? "What year is that car"? Is that a "TR6", WoW:

"Problems"! At $15K; You should not have any problems!

Best Wishes,

Russ

Thanks for the welcome,
Now it is time to start the quest for the right car for the money I am wishing to spend

Yes I am still excited and have had my car for over 2 years. I see a lot of 6's out there, don't feel rushed. I watched online for 5 years, more seriously the last year. As we all do I had a budget range I will willing to spend in and of course my own ideas of what would be an acceptable car. I watched Healeys go out of sight, MG's which I had one once and TR's. Then I saw the car I bought and that was it, I want that car, and bid accordingly. The first ride I took in a Triumph was 4 months later when I got it running and safe to drive.
It might be of interest the car was 6 hours away and I was not able to preview. I had many photos and a detailed description. Phoned the owner and had him walk the car and describe. And finally I put $500 down after auction and went there with cash rather than sending the usual certified check. That way if I was bamboozled I was out $500 but wasn't going home with a car I didn't want. It worked out.
Happy Hunting:}

44B,

Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here for you and the cost is only that of asking.

If you search for a local Triumph club, they may have a surrogate buyer who can help you if anything is close, or you can use the VTR (Vintage Triumph Register) Buyers Guides for additional help and guidance. That can be found here: VTR Buyers Guide They also have a classified ad section under resources at the top of their pages.

Another great source of information for TR-6's is the 6-Pack located here: 6-Pack

Please consider joining this forum as well as the others. The owners offer up their time and servers to help us all, so becoming a member helps offset the large financial costs associated with running these great forums and allowing us all to be here.

Gppd luck and remember that we will be here if you need us.