• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ 7 and BJ8 Registry forums back!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Please note that the BJ7 and BJ8 registry forms are back! These were off line for a bit while I made the change in forum software. But now they are back! You will see the links to the BJ7 and BJ8 register forms in just below the nav menu here in the Healey forum. If you own a BJ7 or BJ8 and are not already in the registry for your car, click the appropriate form and fill it out. When you submit the forum the info will go directly to the registrar of the respective register.

Basil

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Let me add my endorsement of the Registries as I encourage everyone with one (or more) of these cars to register it (them). In addition to the handy links that Basil has placed on the forum page, there is also a list of Austin-Healey-related registries HERE.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to know how the information is being used. Can I look up
info on any car vin that I choose?

SB

[/ QUOTE ]
Take a look at the disclaimer at the top of either form. If you have any other questions, email the registrar (their email addresses are on each respective form).

Basil

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Scott,
Interesting question. It appears to me the the information is mostly one way. You can't find out much about any car without proving a "need to know" & hoping that the registry keeper choses to let this info out to you. Some of the keepers will go to great lengths to help you out with questions on a specific car #. Steve Byers is one of the more helpful. Others are not so helpful. There is one AH registry in the UK that publishes a list of car numbers that are registered but no other info. There is a Jag registry that publishes a bit more info. They all usually cite personal privacy considerations as the reason for limiting the information. Certainly the registries are not a general information tool available to the masses. It will be interesting to see Reid's response.
D

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
I found Steve Byers of the US BJ8 registry VERY helpful when I was contemplating importing a BJ8 back from the US to the UK. He put me in touch with previous owners including one who had been the one to resurrect this particular car. In the end due to what I found out I decided to 'pass on by'

As a side effect last Saturday my wife and I spent a very pleasant day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif with one of the previous owners and his wife who were over here on holiday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Re: BJ7 and BJ8 Registry forums back!

[ QUOTE ]
Scott,
Interesting question. It appears to me the the information is mostly one way. You can't find out much about any car without proving a "need to know" & hoping that the registry keeper choses to let this info out to you. Some of the keepers will go to great lengths to help you out with questions on a specific car #. Steve Byers is one of the more helpful. Others are not so helpful. There is one AH registry in the UK that publishes a list of car numbers that are registered but no other info. There is a Jag registry that publishes a bit more info. They all usually cite personal privacy considerations as the reason for limiting the information. Certainly the registries are not a general information tool available to the masses. It will be interesting to see Reid's response.
D

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure how responding to this became my responsibility, but I hate to disappoint and so here goes...

There are several model registries, as you already know if you checked the webpage that was linked in my earlier response in this thread. They are run by individuals, NOT by clubs. The quantity and quality of the time and effort that people put into them varies, greatly. I would rather that you contacted the individual(s) concerned for information on what they will and will not do for you if you register your car, and how they will safeguard your submitted information.

A few years ago I tried to organize some standardization among the registries by establishing compatible databases, formulating a common registration form, implementing a common privacy policy, etc., etc. Great idea, right? Well, it never really got anywhere. Like I said, the registries are run by individuals and efforts to "help" them were met by a predictable level of apathy and/or passive resistance. (After all, we were trying to teach old dogs new tricks, and so what would you expect? At least I tried.)

So, in summary, I recommend that you contact the Registrar for your model of Healey to discuss with him your concerns and expectations. Then you can make your own, informed decision on how (and if) to proceed. The registries are offered for your benefit, but you should verify that you agree with the uses of the information you submit, and that your expectations for information received will be met.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold

[ QUOTE ]

Not sure how responding to this became my responsibility, but I hate to disappoint and so here goes...

[/ QUOTE ]
Reid,
I just "knew" that you had more to say on the subject.
D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

At least one registry--the 100 M and Le Mans Registry--appears to be not too much more than a profit center for an individual. However, the grille badge is definitely worth the price of admission.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

The "registry keepers" are all volunteers who do what they do because they want to, and frankly that is because it satisfies their own interest. If they share any info with anyone, it could almost be considered as "an extra." No one elects or appoints them, and so obviously there are no criteria.

As I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread, a few years ago I tried to organize an effort to coordinate the registries, creating the position of Registry Committee Chairman, standardizing the forms they use and making it all compatible in the same database format, and standardizing the privacy standards. However, at least one registry is still kept on index cards, and so perhaps any such efforts first need to address dragging some of the regsitrars into the 20th century -- yes, the LAST century, when typewriters became common.

Seriously though, since the jobs do not pay anything, and since it is hard to find volunteers for such work that can be tedious, what is one to do? It would be fine to suggest "term limits" or hold elections for registrars, but until we have multiple candidates willing to put in the work, for the long term (we'd be ill-served by changing regsitrars too often), nothing is likely to change.

If you were personally interested in becoming a model registrar, I'd suggest contacting the current registrar and seeing if he is willing to let you have it. He might surprise you! Or he might agree to accept some assistance. Likewise, if you have suggestions, contact the individual registrar and discuss them with him.

And if you still have energy left over, please contact me and I'm sure I can find you a position on the staff of Austin-Healey Magazine...

CharlieCarpenter

Gosh. I didn't mean to upset you. I am a "newby" and was just wondering how people did get appointed to those positions. I would be honored to be "the keeper" of a registry and will contact one of the current guys as you suggest and see if I can help. I wasn't involved when you tried to organize the positions mentioned but it sounds like it was a great idea. As a retired USAF Comptroller guy, I like organization. In my new life, I work with computers daily so maybe could bring some Healey archived data up to 20th Century standards. Further I am willing to assist in anyway I can.
Charlie