• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What not to do at 6800 RPM in 3rd gear...

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Shift to second instead of fourth. So after my lovely spin that Nial caught on camera I was rushing a bit. A few laps later I mis-shifted to 2nd instead or 4th on the front part of the straight away. This is the result:

4th_cylinder.JPG

and

Head.JPG

The valves were stuck in the piston when I pulled the head tonight. Guess I get to build another one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

WoooooooooWWWWWW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

What did that sound like?

Nasty indeed. Yep, what not to do in fact but now you can improve on what you had a bit.

Just put some Motor Honey, Liquid Overhaul, Slick 50 and STP in there and it will fix her right up!

That's probably not an ideal engine condition, now is it. Even I can tell that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good to see you're in good humor (now, at least) about it.

Guess the real question would be... right before it happened, did you say, "Hey, y'all - watch this!"?

Bum-MER!

Mickey

[ QUOTE ]
Shift to second instead of fourth. So after my lovely spin that Nial caught on camera I was rushing a bit. A few laps later I mis-shifted to 2nd instead or 4th on the front part of the straight away. This is the result:

(snip)

and

(snip)

The valves were stuck in the piston when I pulled the head tonight. Guess I get to build another one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Worse than anything I've managed to do so far though I have come close by leaving valve impressions in the tops of pistons before.

Also managed to spin a race 1275 to 9,100 rpm very briefly by doing the same thing -- accidently getting it into 2nd gear instead of fourth. Lost 5 psi oil pressure after that incident but was able to complete the season without a teardown. (Now's the time for the teardown to inspect things and replace bearings.)

At any rate, get started now rebuilding or building a new engine so as to avoid the last minute rush, anxiety, compromises, etc., etc. Starting now allows a leisurely and enjoyable pace!

We do do this for fun, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Tim

OUCH......Not good!

Hope that wasn't one of those really pricey modified heads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

Just had an awful thought. Was that the special head I let you beat me out of on ebay for less than 100 bucks?

No no, just the basic casting not reworked.

No Jack, it must have been someone else. That was just a stock smogged head that I cleaned up and installed Cooper S intake valves in. I had a funny feeling that I would do something stupid this year when I built the engine, so I kept it pretty simple.
The engine didn't grenade right after I over reved it; I actually got two more laps out of it. When I pulled the valve cover the #4 exhaust valve rocker arm was against the valve spring retainer. I assume that when I over reved it I lost one of the keepers and then the other finally came off and I swallowed the valve. From there it got ugly. The other pistons don't show signed of valve contact. I knew it was going to be bad when I pulled the carbs off and the intake was full of piston chunks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Must have been Bugeye58 then. That's good, hate to see tough to find parts get distroyed.

Think it was a 12G295

It wasn't me, either Jack. The only head I've gotten from eBay was a 206, after you said you weren't going to bid on it past X amount. It didn't go for less than 100 bucks.
Jeff