• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Two more questions

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
During the disassembly of my 1960 BT7 I came across two items I thought interesting. The first two photos show evidence of red paint applied to the interior base of the inner rear fenders where they meet the floor board and also a band of red paint where the horizontal rear seat panel meets the inner rear fenders. The bands are about 1 inch wide and appear to be hand painted. The OEW car originally had red interior. I am thinking the paint was applied to areas where the carpet might not meet the uphoustered side panels and the paint would hide the gap. Anyone else encounter similar painted areas in their interior? If so do you know why they were applied?

Question 2. The third photo shows a hole in the left side floor pan near the drive shaft tunnel. It's about 1/4" dia. and not threaded. It appears to have been punched (not drilled) from the top and penetrates into the frame X member below. The is no matching hole on the right side of the tunnel. I have owned the car since it was 3 years old and I don't remember making the hole. I can't see a real purpose for it. Anyone else have a hole in that location?

Attachments

• Red Paint 1.jpg
    Red Paint 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Red Paint 2.jpg
    Red Paint 2.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Floorpan Hole.jpg
    Floorpan Hole.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 115

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
That last photo looks like someone's holstered sidearm went off while driving. On the paint, I have the same OEW/ red interior. I don't recall the red paint, but that area was mostly rusted out. So I can't say one way or another.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am thinking the paint was applied to areas where the carpet might not meet the uphoustered side panels and the paint would hide the gap. Anyone else encounter similar painted areas in their interior? If so do you know why they were applied?

My BJ7 (Healey Blue/Blue interior) has a number of areas where dark blue paint was painted around the door openings, kick panels, etc. in areas where the interior panels would not totally cover the Healey blue paint in the interior. I remember reading in Anderson-Moment your guess was exactly the reason this was done, to hide any gaps.

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello Rob,

In my opinion the red paint is an easy repair of some preowner.
See my current situation on the added pictures.

Bye michel- who has also work to do....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 75

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
One of my Healeys was the same color ; white with red interior. Bright red paint brush painted around the door openings and where the quarter trim meets the carpet. Unrestored California car. It was obviously done so no white would peek between the red trim.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Rob,

I would agree that the paint was added by a previous owner. My Healey is white with a black interior. Since I have had the BJ8P1 since new, I know all that was done to it as I was the one who did it. Over the years, if an inter panel or rug moved and exposed any metal in the interior, the white paint would come shining through as bright as a headlight. When redoing my Healey in the mid ‘80s, I painted the full substructure black (I never liked the look of oiled white paint against the metallic green engine). Now, no more headlights as the black interior is not over a black metal structure.

Greg has a point about the hole as it seems to have been punched from the top and not drilled. I, personally, know of nothing that would be fitted between the driver’s seat and tunnel at that location.

Good luck on your project,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Could be red oxide primer used in areas of corners and overlaps. British car manufacturers used this extensively like the zinc primers of today. Might have been ordered thru dealership or the first owner of 3 yrs. decided to protect car.

OP
Rob Glasgow

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ray, Based on Brinkerhoff's comment and the fact that I bought the car from the original owner when it was only 3 years old, I think the red paint was added at the factory during the build in 1960. Austin may have discontinued the practice with the later models and that is why your BJ8 did not have them.
The hole remains a mystery.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Rob,

You may be right but I would then expect many more restorations to have noted the added paint on the interior. Since you are one of the few that has noted this added paint matching the interior color, I tend to believe it was not a standard practice…if a factory practice at all.

The body, including the interior, frame, and engine compartment were painted a single color with the cove, if different, added after. Unless your car had the same interior color as its body color, the contrasting interior color would come shining through where interior panels, upholstery, or rug allowed exposure. Since, as in my example, the white exterior color would definitely show at every exposure against the black interior color, it became an obvious and aggravating condition and the main reason for painting the under-structure black.

Rob, either way, the choice is yours to do the same or take the standard approach without the additional paint.

Good luck and all the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Certainly looks like a bullet hole. Also looks like it's into the frame. There should be a matching dent below it in the bottom side of the frame and the bullet may still be in the frame nearby.