• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 More 72 TR6 Questions!

Wilky

Freshman Member
Hello again Chaps,
Now that I have been running the Triumph properly for just under a week, things are starting to loosen up nicely and today I have become aware of yet more problems.
1. Squeaking rear diff carrier - clunking on clutch engagement
2. Potential oil leak from head gasket just behind the distributor (This could have
been caused by the engine running hot when the ignition was too far retarded)

So, what am I planning on doing and what are my questions? Here goes!

Im going to drop the diff out and give it the once over, Ill probably put solid mountings in and be done with it.

If Im going to take the head off to do the head gasket them Im going to throw a bit of money at it.

Can anyone recommend a good place for headwork? I am looking for the head to be gas flowed, skimmed to increase the compression, converted to lead free if needed, uprated valves fitted etc etc etc, any advice is welcomed.

Roller rockers - I have read some horror stories about these, I had 1.5s on my mini in the 80s and they were fantastic, how do they fair on a TR6?

Cam - If im pulling off the head Im going to change the cam/ oil pump etc - what duration would suit fast road with a nice useable power band? I would guess 270 - any advice welcomed.

Pistons - at what compression is it recommended that a TR6 needs uprated pistons?

Thanks in advance!

Callum

No solid mountings if you mean replacing the rubber bushings. It's probably a crack in the crossmember that the differential mount pin is welded to especially the right front one.
A lot of time oil will seep out of the head in that location due to inadequate relief of the crankcase pressure. The push rod gallies are on that side of the block and the only pressure there is from the build up of crankcase pressure. Check the system as it vents from the valve cover.Emulsified clogs are common.
I don't know of a machine shop in that area, ask at a NAPA store. I've heard there is some active sportscar clubs around there, too.
Roller rockers from Good Parts seem to be fine.I have 1:1.5
No need for special pistons aside from what's commonly available standard or oversize, in my opinion.

poolboy said:
A lot of time oil will seep out of the head in that location due to inadequate relief of the crankcase pressure. The push rod gallies are on that side of the block and the only pressure there is from the build up of crankcase pressure. Check the system as it vents from the valve cover.Emulsified clogs are common.

After reading this I went out and checked before investigating head gasket failure further, there was nothing in the coolant that would suggest gasket failure or anything else so I whipped off the hose from the rocker cover to the carbon canister, had a look and the previous owner had forced a small PCV into the hose, THE WRONG WAY ROUND!!! Initially I thought it could be a little restrictor but no it was a PCV facing the wrong way!!!
I managed to get the bloody thing out after much grunting and swearing, cleaned the oil off the block around the distributor with degreasant and took the car out for a run. No oil seep any more!!! Once again you were bang on with your advice!!!! Thank you.
This is a great relief to me as I didn't fancy having to take the head off. I would have been nice to have it ported and polished and the compression raised, however I can now leave this alone and start getting the rear diff mounting sorted, sway bar links and bushing, and put a decent set of brakes on her as Im doing the front wheel bearings.
Right, Im off the surrender my hard earned cash to, Moss/BV/TRF etc etc etc!!!

Thank you once again

Callum

I was glad to pass it along, Callum. It wasn't all that long ago that I had a similar problem.

well how about a set of these JE 78 mm pistons! just came in on Friday

Hondo

Attachments

• 22020.jpg
    22020.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 130