• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4/6 vs E36 M3

Webb,

When I was faced with a similar problem I decided to sell my 1957 MGA and buy a new Miata... 1993 LE, Black with Red leather trim. It was a tough decision, but once I got over missing the classic MG and started to enjoy a similar driving feeling from the new Mazda, I had no regrets. Might I suggest that you consider a Miata, which I believe to be as dependable as the BMW and maybe a little more fun to drive. For the price of an M3, you could get the optional hardtop and low mileage Miata with the leather package. Just something to check into before you jump into the BMW. Test drive a 1999 model, the latest generation, to see what you think. I drove my 1993 for over three years to 100,000 miles with absolutely no mechanical issues. The original clutch was still working fine. As for the LBC question, if it were me I would go with the classic TR or other marque, but then I have never been too concerned with practicality.... it just becomes a question of what governs your choices. Passion for the cars of the past or practical concerns regarding transportation. Tough call for me to make. Try the Miata.

Brian

The Miata brings more interesting ideas to my mind. On of the reasons I thought of passing when someone said something about a Honda and a TR was that I wanted something with decent performance, and a Civic's just not where it's at. However, having a TR and a Miata would just about give me everything I wanted. And a Miata is easily upgradable to quench my need for speed... I'll have to think and research this one a little more.

[ QUOTE ]
And a Miata is easily upgradable to quench my need for speed...

[/ QUOTE ]

Upgrades are needed. My Miata does 70 on the highway without any trouble at all, and zero-to-55 on the local 4-lane in under 8 seconds. Don't need any more than that
screwy.gif

Incidentally, the Miata crowd is equally as enthusiastic about their cars as the Brit-car crowd is.

I absolutely love the performance of my stock '91 miata. To me it has the power and handling that a "classic" sportscar should have. And tires, wheel alignment, and suspension tweaks supposedly set this car on fire(I haven't experimented with any of these.... yet...). It will embarrass many a more expensive car through the twisties. That said, this engine was over built and will handle 8psi or more of boost on the stock internals, so SCing, or turboing is a popular mod. And ends up being cheaper than trying to build up a normally aspirated engine. Check out www.miata.net for everything you've ever wanted to know about miatas, and the community of enthusiasts on the forum. There will be 300 owners meeting in Kelowna BC, Canada for the annual "Topless Run". Gives you and idea of the car's fans and get togethers.
I love british cars, but if you can only have one (sports)car to depend on, my vote is on a miata...

I was about to mention miata.net, but JM1NA beat me to it. Excellent site, with great forums - the only site on the web that rivals this one.

Huge tuneability in the Miatas, used ones aren't expensive and durability is excellent. A US$6000 Miata with $US6000 worth of mods will give you a reliable daily driver that will embarrass an E36 M3 on the track, for much less money. Ask me how I know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

IMHO, Miatas have virtually all of the LBC virtues and none of the pain. I'll agree completely that they lack that "soul" or "indefinable something" of the LBCs, but if you can only have one car and don't want to schlep an irreplaceable TR through the snow, it's an extremely attractive compromise. Ultimately, you have to come up with a combination that fits your taste, your budget and your tolerance for tinkering.