• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stock carpet Kit Question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK I know there are a few here who have installed Stock Carpet kits.

I have managed to test fit every piece except three.

1. is a rectangular piece maybe 8 X 10 inches - I presume this is a spare?

2. Two pieces that are quarter circles - about 3 - 3 1/2 inches up each side.

where do these go?

pics would help - as would pics around the wheel humps

thanks

I think #1 goes on each side of the trans tunner on top of the 3" rails.

Which ones, are they on this pic?

SPM-104.gif

m

None of the above - here

Attachments

• 15451.jpg
    15451.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 201
I just put in a kit that pretty much matches Silent Unicorn's diagram above. I did have a half circle piece with a slit almost all the way through it. Almost like it was meant to be pulled apart. If it was, the pieces would look just like the ones in your pic..... I used them to cover the seams at the base of the wheel wells. I'll try to remember to post a pic as soon as it stops raining and I can uncover the car.

i had nothing like those when i did mine..

m

JP -

I used the kit. Frankly, I did not use the "pizza shaped" pieces. They appear to cover a small area around the wheel arch. As for the larger piece --could it be for the vertical area between the foot wells? I don't recongnize it.

IMPORTANT !! I don't know if I have a problem yet; but my tranny is making some noise (99% sure it needs a little fluid, known drip spot on my car). I think when I installed the carpet - I covered up access to the tranny drain plug. Frankly - I haven't dove into the problem since we've had way too much snow and cold to even desire to go out to the garage. Will look into come March on a hopeful warer day.

Tx-

George Zeck

Trany can be filled from the shift lever. Must remove it first of course and drain it so you don't over fill. A bit less than a quart is about right.

jlaird said:
Trany can be filled from the shift lever. Must remove it first of course and drain it so you don't over fill. A bit less than a quart is about right.

Don't think it can with a 1500 but I would LOVE to be corrected!

George Zeck said:
JP -

I used the kit. Frankly, I did not use the "pizza shaped" pieces. They appear to cover a small area around the wheel arch. As for the larger piece --could it be for the vertical area between the foot wells? I don't recongnize it.

IMPORTANT !! I don't know if I have a problem yet; but my tranny is making some noise (99% sure it needs a little fluid, known drip spot on my car). I think when I installed the carpet - I covered up access to the tranny drain plug. Frankly - I haven't dove into the problem since we've had way too much snow and cold to even desire to go out to the garage. Will look into come March on a hopeful warer day.

Tx-

George Zeck

thanks George - I wondered if that was where. Any advice on installation order? I'm actually contemplating making the tranny piece removeable

jlaird said:

we're going a little off topic with the tranny fluid issue but for some reason i have the figure of 2.7pints in my mind for the amount of tranny fluid to add. That's 1.35 quarts. I could be wrong but you should definitely look this up.

[/quote]

thanks George - I wondered if that was where. Any advice on installation order? I'm actually contemplating making the tranny piece removeable [/quote]

I'd recommend it. Don't know about a 1500 but on my Midget (that got a baked gearbox on the way home from purchase) I could verify the box never got serviced because the carpet was glued down all over the hump, no access to fill plug. I had to tear it off to get access and the carpet doesn't like that much. Leave it loose or do something creative.

Hi JP:

On mine I did carpets first so that trim panels fit against them properly and I could check as I went along. I glued down the rear section of the carpet that covers the tunnel only from the shifter back.

The front part is snapped into place using snaps (that come with a carpet kit). Male fitting screwed into body, female fitting attached to carpet low near the floor located at the front corners of this carpet piece. If you have a console that also holds the carpet in place due to the tight fit.

You need to peel back that carpet to check tranny fluid level and to remove the tranny mounting bolts or shifter (shift boot terminates under the carpet) or to remove emergency brake assy. And we all know how often the tranny in a spridget gets to see the light of day. I've come to the conclusion that you almost have to pull the motor/tranny on these cars just to change the radio station, ok thats going a bit far, but not very!