• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help Miss Agatha get a birth certificate.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My Bugeye was sold to me from Texas with a Bill of Sale from a warehouse full of parts and old cars. The place no longer exhists.
The guy that owned them all died about 5 or 10 years back and was making race cars, a title could not be found in his records. I know, or was told that Miss Agatha was over in the corner for at least 5 years and I expect a lot longer than that. No clue where she came from before that.
See my link for where she was found. https://groups.msn.com/TheAustinHealeySpriteProject/shoebox.msnw
Ok, now for the sad part maybe. Yep have a Bill of Sale. Noop no vehicle registration. Yep have a VIN number AN5L/24575.
DMV insists that I have an old registration so they can put it in my name. Duh, Miss Agatha has been resurrected from the grave.
All new VINs are 17 digits so state on line data bases will not research Miss Agatha.
Prob has been 20 years maybe since she has been on the road and has passed through many hands I expect.
Yep, Florida has a way to register home made motorcycles and such but wants to inspect the car, no prob. and give it a 2007 registration date. So no old license plate for me. All they realy want to do is see it no inspection involved.
Soooo, what I need is a bugeye title and VIN plate from one someone has destroyed due to rust or what ever or turned into a race car maybe and no longer needs a VIN.

Jack - do you have a VIN plate right now? If so, contact me off-BBS.

Problem solved, just a matter of knowing how to do it.

Experience is a wonderful thing. Thanks all.

I appreciate that you might not want the DMV to read this thread. I do have a title so this is just for my own info but I for one am DYING to know what transpired between Tony's post & your post.

JP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

No kidding!!!!!
All was sorted within a hour, I love it.

Hehe, phone call.

The important thing is that Miss A gets on the road; one thing to resurrect, another to have blood course its viens.

My bigest worry at this point is that I will get it all together and then have to pull the engine for some dumb thing.

Only Tony knows......hehehehe

im kinda in the same boat as Jack. Previous owners bought the car with a bill of sale and no title from an estae sale. the car then pretty much sat since 2000. I bought it this past december with a bill of sale. The Oklahoma Tax Commission seems to have the same rules as florida. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

If you have the VIN# on your bill of sale. Order a new plate from the usual sources, steel stamp or have it engraved by a trophy company, then contact the DOL or whatever they call it in your home state and do what ever they dream up at the time. Worked for me.

Okay... let's go hypothetical here...
What if you have a car that is currently registered w/a clear title (pink slip). But maybe don't actually have the little plate, with the vin #, on the car - lets say it was missplaced or just never there...
Would this be a problem? Is it possible to get a new vin plate with appropriate vin number? I guess I'm curious about the previously mentioned "usual sources".
cd

Of course, blank vin plates are available.

Hmmm...That "great pumpkin" thing is starting to make some sense, he, he! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

hehehehehe.....

I'm also in a somewhat similar boat to some others. I have a 62 I'm restoring. It was my dads car and was parked somewhere in PA in 1972. I got it in 2000 and brought it to VA. Last person the car was registered to in PA was my dad, but the title is MIA somewhere. Not quite sure what I need to do. Probably start by asking the DMV here.??? If anyone has any advise, please let me know.

- Drew (a different Drew)

Older cars are pretty easy to change ownership on - especially in states that didn't go to titles for cars until the mid-70's...

....there's no way for a DMV to trace ownership on those old cars that were sold on bills of sale & registrations alone because those states didn't keep paperwork longer than the active year of registration (owners presented their last year registration to get next year's license plate)...

...so, all one has to do is create a paper trail in a non-title state that makes that state DMV happy - using old VIN plates that came with the car or the VIN plates off a car that's known to have been crushed.....then, with the proper paper trail from that state, go to your state's DMV & apply for a new title.

I'm happy to buy any car older than 1975 on just a bill of sale - with just your signature & a price! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

One source is VB (pp 36) kit part #9-0720 includes the VIN# plate.