• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

59 TR3A Fuel Pump

Is it possible that you have 1/4" steel fuel line. The ferrule will not compress steel fuel line. The ferrule and the nut are brass so it should not take a lot of force to compress the ferrule on copper or copper alloy tubing. Excess force will round off the nut. You might look into a line wrench specifically made for this application that will grip the nut better so there is less chance of rounding the new nut off. Frank

well I was wrong about that. I went out and took a file to the 1/4" line and it looked to be steel instead of copper, so I stuck a magnet on it and it is steel much to my surprise. The olive does look different. It is more square on the nut side.
1-4%22 fuel line..jpg

I put a small BUNA o ring between the olive and the fuel pump inlet. Don’t know the size I chose, just grabbed one from an assortment from Harbor Freight and it worked; hasn’t leaked or weeped since.

Got lucky first time out.

Hmmmm. This is very interesting, and I thank you again. I examined my 1/4” compression sleeves (olives), and they are identical on both ends. Your idea of a Buna o-ring makes a lot of sense, as I can’t imagine how much torque it will take to deform the brass olive tight to the steel tube. I have ordered a new Tube Nut from Moss, and will pick up some o-rings from Napa Auto Parts. Once again, thank you so much for responding with good advice.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you have a look at their "O" ring kit in the red box. Great selection and not too much $.

David

Thanks; will do. Only problem is the smallest quantity is hundreds of o-rings of many sizes for $7 to $9.‘I need one; what other applications do you use them for?

Thanks; will do. Only problem is the smallest quantity is hundreds of o-rings of many sizes for $7 to $9.‘I need one; what other applications do you use them for?
Get a roll of 3/4" teflon tape which is thicker than the 1/2" .Cut a strip narrower about 1/2" wide to wrap the front of the ferrule about 3 wraps and one sretched around the whole ferrule .Snug up.Teflon tape is ribbon packing and works really well to seal a ferrule .
Tom

Always handy to have a selection f "O" rings on hand. I have used them to fi leaking taps and as drive wheels on small projects.

David

Guys: I have finally achieved success with my fuel line leak. It turned out that the tube was bumping into a shoulder in the port, which apparently prevented the olive mating up with the port chamfer that compresses it. Testing a 1/4” tube on the old fuel pump, I discovered this shoulder, and wiggling the tube a wee bit, it found the proper port and went in another 1/4”. I marked this fully inserted distance on the fuel pipe and made sure the pipe was fully inserted as I tightened the new tube nut. It made a completely tight joint without an o-ring or Teflon tape.