• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Unknown car, Help?

ducatinova

Freshman Member
my Uni mates and I were talking about old cars and one brought up a car that sat in a gated lot across from a pub we went to all the time. None of us know what kind it was but it was very interesting. I was wondering if any of you would have any idea of the make just by a discription?. The car was about the size of a Nash metropolitan , it was a two seat convertible and was styled like a 1955 Chevy. I say that because of the tall boot lid and single head lamps. The grille was more arched than a chevy's I think the name was in chrome above the grille but my memory has been washed with to many pints of ale since then.Any ideas would help. It may have been from another country other than England but that is where I am starting.

hottvr

Jedi Warrior
Sounds like a Vauxhall Velox (spelling)? Anyone agree or disagree?
Rick

OP
D

ducatinova

Freshman Member
Hmmm...the photos I could find of the Velox look to much like a '53 chevy or a 58 oldsmobile. Was the Velox available as a two seater? the car in question had no back seat area. The boot lid went from the rear bumper up very slab like. as in the 55-57 Chevy's

MattP

Jedi Knight
Check some of the Russian cars. I've seen a few of them with similar styling cues, but I am not sure there was a two seat convertable.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Wasn't a Velox.....they were four-seat closed cars. Soviet-era Russian cars were very austere (except for the big-wigs) and I don't think that such extravagances as convertible tops would have been allowed. Too impractical anyway, because of the teperatures there. I want to say it's an A-40 Austin sport.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Or check out the thread Ducatinova posted under the Triumph forum titled "hearld". Sure looks like what you described
(edit) I'm such a twit, I just noticed who started this thread..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif Nevermind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Steve, that car also favors the limited production Volvo P1900 a Tupperware design that failed.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Keoke- the P1900 looks to me to have a much more rounded trunk treatment than he mentions. Interesting post tho, since with only 68 made they wouldn't exactly jump to my mind as even existing. And you know how big a fan I am of Tupperware. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
D

ducatinova

Freshman Member
The Volvo is more of a roadster looking car than the car in question.The car in question was like the Austin in size and proportions. The difference was that the hood did not come to a point as the austin does. the line where the hood opens from the cowl to grille was straight. The front fenders and doors were very much like this. aft of the doors the rear fenders did not drop off like the Austin does. They were level all the way to the back. If you look at a Peugeot 403 rear it was similar to that. Unlike the 403 there was no height difference between the rear fenders and the boot lid.Thanks for all your help. I'm beginning to think that the car was made by some small company that just made a few cars in the fifties and then went out of business. I'm having no luck finding it on the net. I'm sure that the car is gone by now. It was in rough shape years ago .Next time I'm back at my Uni for a visit I will see if anyone knows anything about it.

bugimike

Yoda
sounds like it could be Jowett, I think there were two models, the Javelin and the Jupiter. Very early 50's chevy looking!