• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR7 to 8 conversion

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I went out and picked up the TR7 DHC I had written about and once I got it home I have started to feel bad. The car only has 17,000 miles on the engine. It obviously had a head problem but it is new car clean in the engine compartment. The car has been repainted from a blue to a bright red (I will look up the details on the tag when I get home) The body has a few small spots.

I am hoping I can find some one looking for a fresh 7 engine. The transformation should begin on the 7th, mean while I will start the car cleaning.

I would imagine selling the engine won't be too big an issue, as there are plenty 7's out there with "issues".

Will you be able to attend VTR at Valley Forge?

Mickey

I will not be at Valley Forge, The army in their infinate wisdom has decided that is a week end I need to work. That is the week end of the Vintage Grand Prix here in Pittsburgh too. As much as the Army inconviences me I keep reminding myself that they are also what allows me to afford my LBC affliction. The Army has some how scheduled me so I have never been able to go to a TRF show, I have missed 4 of teh past 5 vintage Grand Prixs and this year they managesd to mess up teh VTR rally.

Don't know how close our caravan will be to you when we come through, but PM me your ph. number/contact info and maybe we can grab a cup of coffee somewhere...

YankeeTR, ya listening to this?

Tom

Just curious, are you putting a V8 in a TR7 and planning on enjoying it as such or are you planning on making a TR8 clone. I know there is a group in England that does this for profit and apparently have quite a waiting list of customers. Is this kinda like sticking a 6 engine in a 4 and calling it a 250? Again, I have no problem with your adventure but what will you call it when done? Just curious.

I will stick TR8 decals on it (I like the looks of the decals better) but to aviod confusion here on the forum I will call it a TR71/2 or maybe the more traditional TR7V8. I would never try to sell it as an 8, not legit, but I bet I have seen as many conversions as I have originals. I saw, on youtube i beleive, a program on the conversion of it and the waiting list they have for their cars. Unfortunately I do not have the $$$$$ to spend on what I can do myself.

I will stick TR8 decals on it (I like the looks of the decals better) but to aviod confusion here on the forum I will call it a TR71/2 or maybe the more traditional TR7V8. I would never try to sell it as an 8, not legit, but I bet I have seen as many conversions as I have originals. I saw, on youtube i beleive, a program on the conversion of it and the waiting list they have for their cars. Unfortunately I do not have the $$$$$ to spend on what I can do myself.

Gotcha. Not criticizing you understand, just curious. How much gusseting of the TR7 will you have to do? This is unibody, right? I think it is cool. I have driven both cars (7 and 8) and hands down, no comparison as far as brute power. The 7 is a great handling car, does that geometry change with the addition of the extra 4 cylinders?

I also saw that YouTube video and see where they are importing clean 7's from the colonies to convert them to RHD for their cars. That's shows how much they are stirring interest in their conversions.

How about TR7.5? or TR7+4?

I have driven both 7s and 8s, i think the 8 is just such a more enjoyable drive. The power makes it more exhilerating, and the V8 sound, oh how can one not like the TR8 sound....

As long as you have the V8 cradle and the bell housing, the conversion goes quite easily, almost all other parts match up. The 7s usually come with a 3.90 and the 8 with a 3.07. I bought a 3.45 and consider it the best of the choices. With the wiring you just need to be patient and match it up. Definately a DIY project.

does the wiring harness really need to be changed?

there are not allot of changes that need made with the wiring harness but I have a MSD system on my 8. Matching that in and I will relocate the battery to the trunk, but other than that, it is pretty straight forward.

i was just wondering. i am planning on using the prts from my parts tr8 to change over my fhc. i think that i need to use a tr8 fuel tank and probably the wiring from the bulkhead back to power the fuel pump. I haven't decided on whether or not to use the ac system. but i think i will use the original intake manifold and the hs6's i now have on my tr7.

PATR8 said:
As long as you have the V8 cradle and the bell housing, the conversion goes quite easily,

Where did you source your V8 cradle? Did you buy a kit?

Is your TR7 DHC a 4 or 5 speed?

my new TR is a 1980 so it is a 5 speed, I beleive only the first year (1976 I beleive) offered a 4 speed. My cradle.... I am pulling it out of my TR8 FHC. Thus the issue of what to do with my soon to be no engined TR8 FHC

So what (again) is wrong with the TR8 FHC donor?

Asking since that could help retermine what to do with it once the engine has been taken out...

The honest truth is not much, the driver side window regulator is broke thus the free fall window, the kick pans in the floors need replaced, there are 8 surface rust spots (front valance, two spots behind the drivers door, one on each rear wheel arch, and two on the very front edge of the front wheel arch). All the lights work, all are in good shape, seats need refinished.