• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 New Suspension Binding

brgrmyster

Country flag
Hi Folks,
My first-ever post to the British Car Forum, looking for help regarding a renewed suspension in my 1976 TR6. I recently renewed everything up front as part of a complete frame-on restoration, and noted the following: with the car on jackstands and the front springs fully extended, meaning the vertical link installed and spring compressor / bottle jack removed, the vertical link is literally frozen. No amount of force will move it laterally (both sides). I've read that with the car under load, and the springs compressed, the pressure on the ball joint is diminished such that the links will move normally. True? Can anyone help put my mind at rest? Everything is new (ball joints, springs, bushings, trunions), and all fittings are torqued properly.

Thanks and regards.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF! Glad to have you aboard.

Not sure of an answer to your situation, but I seem to remember a similar concern with the TR3 I restored some years back. Once it was on the ground and driving, though, it was fine.

Someone with a bit more experience should be chiming in soon.

:cheers:
Mickey

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome.

When the car is on jack stands and there is no load on the front suspension is it typical that the wheels are hard to turn left/right by hand. Shouldn't be totally frozen, but a surprising amount of force is needed to move them from side to side.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tdskip has it spot on.... there is no load on the springs when it is off the ground. Drop it (gently :jester: ) back onto the ground and you will see that the wheels will be easier to turn.

OP
brgrmyster

brgrmyster

Country flag
Thanks much Mickey. That is my hope. You and the others have done much to ease my mind as I knew (at least I believed) that I hadn't done anything wrong in the installation. I hope to have it on the road in less than 30 days (doing the interior at the moment).

Regards,
Jeff

OP
brgrmyster

brgrmyster

Country flag
Thanks also to tdskip and gliderman8. I'll keep you posted. Hope to have it rolling in less than 30 days. If you'd like to see some photos of it, here's a website. I think its coming along nicely, although I must admit I'm biased!

https://jeffs1976tr6.shutterfly.com/

Regards,
Jeff

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome to TBCF. The people on the forum have bailed me out of trouble more times than I can recount. It sounds like you don't need any more help, but I just wanted to share that I had the same results and concerns after I rebuilt my suspension too. I could not turn the front wheels at all when they were up on jack stands, and I was sure I had done something wrong. I hadn't. I think it was Elliot that had let me know it was perfectly normal. I made a cross country trip with my car shortly after and was very happy with the improved ride. You are going to have a blast with your TR6 once it is on the road. Enjoy!
Kevin

OP
brgrmyster

brgrmyster

Country flag
Thanks Kevin for the reassurance. I was beginning to think I'd possible mixed rear springs with front (I did the suspension all the way around), but I don't think that's possible. I believe the diameter is different on the front/back springs. Anyway, I'll know within a month when I finally get this thing back on the road. Been a long two years in restoration.

Regards,
Jeff

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Two years!... that's the FASSTTRACK :jester:
It took me six years to complete mine!
Not to worry Jeff... suspension will be fine once you get it down.
By the way... the photo's of your resto look fantastic... Congrats on a job well done!

OP
brgrmyster

brgrmyster

Country flag
Thanks. Yes, this thing has become my mistress...consumes every weekend. Need to get it done. You're not far away (in God's country). Perhaps we'll cross paths in a show. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Jeff

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
brgrmyster said:
Thanks. Yes, this thing has become my mistress...consumes every weekend. Need to get it done. You're not far away (in God's country). Perhaps we'll cross paths in a show. I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Jeff

I'll be at the "Taste of Britian" show on Sunday in Rothsville, PA. You can check it out on the Lanco MG Club website.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
brgrmyster said:
... Been a long two years in restoration.Regards,
Jeff

2 years??
Here's my last registration

SSL20490.jpg

OP
brgrmyster

brgrmyster

Country flag
Yeah. My kids say I suffer from OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder). I think they're right, as I just have to get this thing done and behind me! Just think of the insurance premiums and registration fees you're saving.

Regards,
Jeff

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry, when you think you have it all behind you, something else will rear it's head and keep you busy. Or you may get a little crazy as you get older.......

OP
brgrmyster

brgrmyster

Country flag
Paul - We've communicated before. I've used your website as a resource. You've outsourced work to Rhode Island and nearby Massachusett's shops. I'm a Pawtucket boy...still enjoy NY System weiners, coffee milk, cabinets, and Awful-Awfuls when I travel home.

Jeff

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Oh yeah. Long time no talk to. I can't eat the NY's anymore. Not on the diet plan, but I do love them. Reminds of Johnstown PA and the Coney Island dogs there, served "all the way" with a cold glass of milk or Coke.

TR4

Jedi Knight
I grew up in Beaver Falls and used to get the best dogs at The Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe. I see they now have 12 locations around the Pittsburgh area selling 30,000 hot dogs a week. Of coarse, when I went there, it was only the original New Brighton location. Here is their website:

https://brightonhotdogshoppes.com

Love those dogs with chili and onions. They also have great milkshakes.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
mmmmm....half a dozen, all the way (chili & onions) and a chocolate shake.