• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A Exhaust Configurations

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just wondering what peoples opinion's or experiences are on this subject. Mine is a '66 and I can tell from the commission number and photos of the restoration by the PO that it came from the factory with the dual exhaust set up.

During the restoration (before I got the car) the PO converted it to the single muffler/exhaust but, with the TR250 muffler that has the dual tips exiting out the rear (not the single tip like the TR4A had).

I will admit, it looks great and sounds really nice, just curious what others have done. I am more interested in a really nice sound but not so much in outright performance.

Bob

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
My 66 came to me with the front muffler of the standard dual setup. The two rear mufflers were gone and replaced with straight pipes. It was loud and sounded like a tractor. I put on a Falcon single rear muffler setup. The reason was to get rid of the muffler under the cockpit for heat mainly, and possible rattles. From a walk around it does not look as cool as two exhaust pipes and it does hang down a little lower than I would like. Sounds ok, pretty quiet, ok with me when you combine engine noise, road noise, and noise in my head. I might consider trying an off the shelf muffler with a smaller profile. Problem is, wouldn't know how it sounds till it's on. Sticking with the program.

PeterK

Yoda
I've got the Falcon dual ss pipes but without the front muffler, just the y-pipe off the header. I'd like to add a small bullet type muffler up front to tone it down a bit.

MichaelG

If you have an IRS car it came with the single rear muffler system, so your system likely performs as stock unless the TR250 muffler is more or less restrictive than the stock 4A rear muffler.

The solid axle cars, like mine, had the twin rear muffler set up.

I have had several configurations in my 30 years of owning the car, and now have a stock falcon SS set up that replaced a system with single strait pipe from the stock front muffler. The single pipe sounded great but was pretty loud and I tired of the constant droning, especially since I did not notice any performance increase. Overall I prefer the stock system.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
sail said:
MichaelG said:
If you have an IRS car it came with the single rear muffler system.

Not truism. IRS came with twin as well. Mine did.

Agree, my across the street neighbor had a '66 twinned exhaust TR4a with IRS - and that was in 1966.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Both of my TR4A IRS cars came with dual exhaust systems as well. It was only the late TR4A's that had the single rear muffler (Rimmer Bros. lists the change at CT70489 so I might have to check the mounts on my late model one to see if they are original).

When I restored my original TR4A, I replaced the front muffler with the Y pipe of the single exhaust system and then used Ansa dual mufflers at the rear with the dual chrome tips. Thought it sounded and looked great. :smile:

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Aaron,

I think you are right! Someone should let them know they have incorrect information in their catalog.

I checked my 67 TR4A today and although it came with dual exhaust, it has the brackets for the single muffler. The prior owner had even left the rubber straps in place when they replaced it!

I would say Rimmer Bros. data on when it changed is probably correct, but what I found interesting is that it would appear that Triumph left the dual exhaust mounting brackets in place in addition to adding new ones for the single muffler as my 67 has both and they appear original. It would be interesting to see if other TR4A owners after CT70488 also have both sets of brackets.

Scott

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Personally, I don't think VB gives a rats a....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
Personally, I don't think VB gives a rats a....
Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Great info, thanks. I am really satisfied with my set up. As mentioned above, I have the single exhaust set-up except the TR4A rear muffler was substituted with the TR250 muffler which has dual tips exiting out the LH side rather than the TR4A's single tip.

The dual system appears more complicated (w/ mid muffler and two rear mufflers) as well as more expensive to replace. If/when I need to replace, I may stick with what I have or go like Scott with the y-pipe up front and the dual Ansa mufflers.

I checked my "Original Triumph TR4A" book by Bill Piggot and it confirms Scott above. Up to CTC70488 it lists the TR4A came with the twin rear muffler system (including a front muffler as well). The book notes this system is expensive and fairly restrictive. Staring with CTC70489 in June 1966 the system was reconfigured. The front muffler was deleted and a single, large transverse muffler was used with a single tip exiting on the LH side.

My car is CTC62210 built in Feb 1966 so it originally had the twin system.

Bob

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
RJS:
If you have a Heritage Certificate that states CTC62210 was built in Feb 1966, one of use has a problem because my Heritage Certificate says my CTC64139 was built Dec 30, 1965

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

OP
RJS

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Lou

Sorry about that. I just pulled and rechecked the Heritage Certificate. Build date was November 4, 1965. Trust that makes more sense.

Bob

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mine is also a 66. CTC60653L. So it must have been built in Sept. or Oct. of '65? Anyway, it had the center muffler with the dual resonators on it when I got it in 1980. I switched to a TR250 style muffler that I got at Carlisle for $50.

Dan B
South Charleston, WV