• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Toyots Four Pot Brakes Pictures

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
I did a lot of work this weekend and have a few tips for any one wanting to try this for a TR3A. I changed the caliper brackets to TR6, went with 10 3/4 rotors. Everything bolted up fine using TR6 caliper bolts except for routing the brake lines. I purchased a stainless set from TSI. I worked for a couple hours trying to get them to miss the tires and have no big stress when turning from lock to lock. I ended up making a stainless and rubber bracket and attaching it to the top caliper mounting bolt. Everything is good now. I changed the rear shoes and installed 7/8" cylinders. I was concerned about wether I would need a proportioning valve with the bigger rear cylinders, but on the test drive it stopped just fine without one.

I left the dust covers off and with the chrome wires on it just looks great...

Here are some pictures

The four pots in place:
https://www.capt-roys.com/fourpots.jpg

Brake Line Mount:
https://www.capt-roys.com/brakelinemount.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Roy-

Looks great - a 4 pot upgrade to my TR4 is on my wishlist when I get back to Houston. If you have a good local source for the calipers please let me know.

Your routing looks very good and I bet it will work fine - but if you find you have trouble later, I've seen an alternative where a small piece of hard pipe was run up to a bracket, and then the flex line was attached at the bracket. Not positive, but I think the bracket is standard from a TR6. I saw some of those makeup lines for sale on the infamous ebay a few months ago, and I think there may be a vendor out there who sells them. Didn't look too hard to fabricate if needed also.

Randy

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Randy,

I also had a set of the hard lines and they would not work for the TR3... I'll keep them around and when you do the conversion you can have them..

PeterK

Yoda
Hi Roy,

Looks really good!

Man I hate to tell you this, but from the first picture it looks like the rotor is on the wrong side.

From Brembo, <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in <u>the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first</u>.
[/QUOTE]

Please tell me the picture is preliminary. I did this on my 4A but caught it early. And the rotor + hub swap is easy enough but more work.

If you used new bearings, just swap the hub/rotor as a unit, and reset your end-play.

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Peter,

Looks like I may need to swap them this evening. I'll take a look when I get home... This should not take long as I won't need to break the lines.. Simple side change and yes I did install new bearings and seals..

Thanks again..

Tosh

Jedi Trainee
Roy,
To my mind there is nothing more important than upgraded brakes on our cars. Kudos.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Roy, great job on those lines. With the TR6 it is even harder to route those TSI lines-so that they are safe, the problem is that adapter and fitting sticks out too far from the caliper, Im still thinking of going back with a hard line and then the regular stainless lines.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here's how I routed the line on my TR3. I made a bracket and basically positioned it at appoximately the same position as where the original entered the caliper.

It looks like the brake line you used is all one piece, which would not allow you to do what I did. My brakes lines came from a seller on e-bay that sells the whole kit. I didn't buy the whole kit from him, as we rebuild calipers where I work. He sold me just the rotors, brake lines and hardware.

See attachment...

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
what model Toyota did the calipers come from ?

Thanks

Beaulieu

OP
C

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
That's where I got mine... It was a really good price and quick delivery.... Highly recommended