• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Title Search

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I just ordered a Heritage Certificate for my '69 Sprite Mark IV and it got me thinking: Are there any companies out there that can trace your LBC's title history all the way back to when the car was first registered in the U.S.? I'd definitely be curious to see how many hands this car has passed through over the course of 45 years, and if I could track down some of the p.o.'s to get some history on the car, like more details about the accident damage I've discovered on the left rear.

I enjoy historical research and on one project, I have been able to track down people or their relatives over 55 years after the fact, so I'm definitely up for the challenge.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think the only successes I've read about here at BCF, are folks who contact DMV title offices in the state(s) where the car has lived, and try it from there. Here in Connecticut we can trace title changes, but DMV won't give us the names and addresses. DMV can say "yes, transferred from New Jersey", etc. We can contact places that did service on similar cars, and look for the needle in the haystack.

Would be interesting to be able to trace, but unless there are service records in the car, it's a tough trail to follow.

Tom

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I can go back two p.o.'s that put the car in Harrisburg, PA. Might be an interesting exercise to see how far back I can chase the history.

I was able to chase down my 1927 baritone saxophone's history back to 1938 on even thinner leads.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The main problem is, most states have a maximum amount of time until their files are purged. For example, South Carolina only keeps files for 15 years, then their destroyed. I'm sure other states have their own time frame, but I wouldn't put too much hope in tracing back going through state records. I tried it with no success. PJ

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
One of my British cars has a UK V5 "title" that lists 9 previous "keepers".

(but only the fact that there was 9.....not who they are or where they live).

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Who made it?

It's a Conn New Wonder Series II, sometimes referred to as a "Crossbar Conn" or a "Chu" (short for Chu Berry). This particular series is considered the "Stradivarius" of baritone saxophones, and was utilitzed by the great jazz baritone sax player Gerry Mulligan. When I first bought the horn, there were several reed holders from the 1960s that referred to Lynx & Long Music - which was on 47th Street in New York, near Tin Pan Alley. The horn also had in red nail polish the word "CHUBBY" painted on the horn. Doing some research, I found it was originally a silverplate horn that had its silver stripped off and lacquered when silver finishes went out of vogue.

I didn't know the horn was that good. In 1990, I bought it off a puppeteer who picked it up in a pawn shop in New York in 1980 thinking that it "looked cool". At that point, I was studying with Chris Vadala and we lined up this bari against his mint condition Mark VI, and the Conn just sounded so much bigger. It wasn't until the advent of the internet that I realized that I had purchased a relatively rare and very desirable horn. I had it fully restored to a silver plate finish in 2002.

Knowing the horn had origins in New York, I began corresponding with various tin pan alley musicians. All acknowledged that the Conn Baris "stayed in the game" longer when most alto and tenor guys were going with the Selmers. Then, I got my "hit". The baritone saxophone player in the Sammy Kaye Big Band was nicknamed "Chubby" and he played a Conn Baritone well into the 1960s, which is when the horn appeared to have stopped being used. Was this "Chubby's Chubby"? I can't guarantee it, but the circumstantial evidence seems to point that way. That would enable me to put the horn back to about 1938 when the band was formed. There are two movies where the Sammy Kaye Big Band was featured - Iceland (1942) with Sonja Henie and Song of the Open Road (1944). Iceland sometimes shows up on TCM...need to remember to record it to see if I can spot the horn.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
An old Conn, Cool
In high School my friend played an old 50's Selmer. That was cool.
Liked it better than my Selmer Alto anyday

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wow. That is awesome. Where did you get this?

It also gives me another lead to chase...I never knew Chubby's last name. It would be nice to find his family and see if I could confirm that this was his horn, and to let the family know that his old horn is still earning its keep.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
An old Conn, Cool
In high School my friend played an old 50's Selmer. That was cool.
Liked it better than my Selmer Alto anyday

I actually had quite a collection at one point, but have been thinning the herd as I'm not playing as much as I used to. This is my current line-up

1913 Conn Curved Soprano - original silver
1925 Conn Straight Soprano - this was a bare brass horn that acquired a coat of lacquer along the way
1927 Conn Baritone
1945 Buescher "Big B" Tenor - original lacquer - this my daily driver
1952 Conn 10M - this is a beater that has been relacquered -- perhaps twice

The ones that I've owned:

1926 Conn Straight Soprano - original silverplate - now out on a consignment sale
1927 Conn Tenor - restored - now out on consignment sale
1938 Buffet alto - traded for a Conn 6M
1941 Conn 6M alto - silverplate with microtuner neck - sold
1974 Selmer Mark VI - stolen! (luckily I was insured)
1979 Selmer Mark VI soprano - sold
2000 Woodwind & Brasswind soprano - sold

I've also had Bundy & Yamaha student model alto saxophones for brief periods of time and borrowed a Yamaha YBS-62 while the Conn was being restored.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wow, you have quite a collection there. I only have one sax, my old, long since retired King Super 20 Tenor with the sterling bell and 24 ct gold inside.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wow, you have quite a collection there. I only have one sax, my old, long since retired King Super 20 Tenor with the sterling bell and 24 ct gold inside.

A Super 20 is one heck of a horn. I've never owned one, but I've played a couple. Really great for Rock and Roll or "Texas Tenor" type sound.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A Super 20 is one heck of a horn. I've never owned one, but I've played a couple. Really great for Rock and Roll or "Texas Tenor" type sound.

Can't guarantee this is what you want, but here's 400 pound Chubby in Sammy's sax lineup.

View attachment 32306

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
That's perfect. I guess Chubby was the perfect moniker for him. I'm going to guess that he probably never owned an LBC! Looks like Chubby is playing a Balanced Action Selmer in that picture, based on the right side bell keys and the keyguards. Frankie looks like he is playing a Conn 6m, while Charlie & George also appear to be playing Selmers.