• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The 70 went back! Complicated Title Problem

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well, I hate to say this, but the 70 went back to the PO. Money returned to me with no problem. The reason is it seems that when the PO bought the car 9 or 10 years ago, he put it in storage and forgot to transfer the title. No big deal you say. Well, Knowing this fellow for a few years, the owner of a very large sod farm and knowing that he is a very honest person, I bought the car from him with the knowledge that, over the years, he lost the title and would apply for a new one. He did this and was told that the state would not issue a new title as there was a discrepancy with the cars ownership prior to him. I have no idea what the problem is but doesn't sound good. Had he of attempted to transfer title when he bought the car, he would have found this out and washed his hands of the deal also. It is now being investigated by the state DOT, so now they have a record of the car and that could tie it up forever. I'm glad I'm out of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif PJ

Shame - I'm glad Alabama doesn't title our old cars...most would probably have some issue along the way if they did just because of things like that.

& that's another reason why I always immediately title all of the cars I'm going to keep in my collection..even though I may never put insurance & a tag on it, I want them all in my name so there'll be no problems when I die.

And that folks is a very smart move, even with a race car. We are so screwed up with fraud and such today not to mention the do gooders.

That's too bad. I hope he's able to get it straightened out.

Seems like puting off the paperwork and bureaucracy is never a good idea.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

P'raps (if it were me) I'd have slapped a "Mechanic's Lein" on it and told the state it was THEIR responsibility to suss out the papers... Title search et al. That'd work here in Florida.

I am told that there is a way around the problem if you know how, and basically it's what Doc said about filing for a mechanics lien. You then have it put up for sheriffs sale, You buy it back and a new clear title is issued to you. I'm also told that here, it is a long, time consuming process and in the end you might not wind up with the car anyway. Too much of a hassle for me. If it was a high dollar car, it might be worth the aggravation. BUT, I'm happy and on the prowl again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif PJ

Not saying that there isn't a solution to the problem, but the State of SC now has the vin no. on record and knows that there is a car attached to it. Also, when you transfer title in this state and not taging it, (Something often done in the restoration circles), a DOT inspector comes out and inspects the car to make sure the numbers are right before you will be issued a title in your name. As I have been told, once the state has the original numbers, there's no way around it, other than junking the car. Too much hassle for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif PJ

South Carolina is a PITA when it comes to retitleing a car. You must have a clear title to change over, a bill of sale is no good in this state.

Paul I tried to get a mechanics lien on a 66 Mustang that I bought from an apostery(sp) shop, even with the shop owners help I gave up after a couple of years.

Now if you know someone in Georgia, all you need is a bill of sale and proof of insurence and they will give you the tags but not in SC.

Paul

Yeah Paul, that's why I gave up on it. There's too many "B"s out there to get excited about one car. It wasn't in that good of a shape anyway to do what I wanted to do, which was build a point car out of it. It would have cost quite a bit with all the parts that needed replacing. There's others out there, and I'm looking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif PJ

[ QUOTE ]
You must have a clear title to change over, a bill of sale is no good in this state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except if the car is coming from a non-title state...I've sold many cars without a title to folks in SC - just an Alabama registration & bill of sale - & they never had a problem getting a title.

If he's willing to let it go for parts car price, I'll come get it, bring it to Alabama, correct the problems & resell it!

I don't know Tony. He told me he had someone interested in it for parts. Maybe he has the same idea. But this fellow is from SC I think. I'll talk to him and let you know. PJ