• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Title Companies

Dennis P

Jedi Hopeful
Hello, Anyone have experience with these companies that provide titles for cars that don't have any? found ad that you send vin # to and they reg it in some southern state, send you title and then you reg in your state. Is this legal? Thanks Dennis

Bret

Yoda
You sure that there isn’t more to it than that? Be careful it sounds kink’a fishy if ya ask me. I know from pass experience that here in California that it’s a real pain to replace a missing title but there’s a good reason for that. It helps keep the honest folks honest.

I’ve found that if it sounds too good to be true – it usually isn’t.
rolleyes.gif

G

You might check with Tony, but I think in Alabama if the car is older than a certain year, you don't need a title to do the transfer. But I would definitely be careful going through someone like that. You could end up on the loosing end.
Bob

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, in Alabama if the car is older than '75, it has no title...ownership is transferred through bills of sale....so, if you've got an older car & had a notarized bill of sale with a current Alabama registration, you could get your state's title...

...that's basically what those guys do: find a place where they can acquire the paperwork to get a title & then go to a state where its pretty easy to do so...you get the result

Wade Keene

I've done that. Forgot what company I've used, but everything worked out just fine, all legal and very little hassle. There are several companies in Alabama and in New England that are well established and advertise in Hemmings.

OP
D

Dennis P

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to all, Cosmo, Broadway is the Co. I was referring to. Found them in Special Interest Vehicle. Cost was 150. Car is to be reg in New York. Buying from persom who bought at auction and lost title, does not know name of previous owner. Good buy, hate to pass up. Thanks

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Dennis....be careful with the 'bought at auction & lost title' ploy! Have him get the title before you give him any $$$'s otherwise you may end up with a car that can't get a title - that company will be required to run a title search to see if the car's stolen, salvage, etc - actually, the state in which they apply for the title will do it....

Alan Black

Wow... I'm amazed that for once California actually seems to be easier than other states. I've had to title a couple cars that had no title (not even lost, DMV had no record of the vehicle at all). All I had to do was show up with the vehicle so they could inspect the VIN physically attached to the car, they verified it didn't exist in their system (and I'm assuming ran a check I don't know about) and issued title on it to me. I'm assuming that NY isn't the same way though or you wouldn't be asking the questions
wink.gif