• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tesla Electric

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very interesting.

I found this site:
https://www.teslamotors.com/
It appears to be a re-bodied Lotus Elise. They don't have pricing information up yet though.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wonder if it'll ever make production?

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
very interesting indeed. I'm not sure about "blazingly fast" though. Top speed of 130MPH is hella fast for an all electric car, but it's not blazing. 0-60 of about 4seconds is blazingly quick especially for an all electric car, but it's not "blazingly fast" ... there are differences between the two words fast and quick... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

either way... I think it'd need an onboard generator to recharge the batteries and extend the cruising range so that it can be driven without being tethered to the outlet at home... Doesn't have to be a big motor to sping an alternator... just needs to be able to spin fast enough to produce the kind of power needed to keep the batteries charged... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
& the bodywork's pretty nice to look at!

I want one too... I already emailed them. Oh, How bout a small portable generator in the boot for the extended range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But if you read the FAQ section, apparently you have to pay an extra $10,000 on top of a non-quoted-yet price if you live away from one of their few service areas. Whatta Crock.

Impressive looking list of CEO's and managers on the board of directors. They also have a pretty good size chunk of money. I bet they actually sell a few of these.

Steve_S

Yoda
I want one, too. I just don't want to pay $80K for one. Actually I don't even want to pay $20K for one unless I can recharge it anywhere with the same speed and ease of gasoline.

their claim of 3-4 hour recharge, and 200-250 mile range is pretty good. But, I'll bet this is gonne be expensive too.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
that's not far enough for me... especially since I have to plug it in to make it go again... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just had a peek at "The Board" also. Looks like a good board with good history behind the board members, but I've yet to check out the histories of the people on my own.

One thing I'm glad to see is that one "Timothy Roberts" is not on the board... If I saw that name, I'd have to tell everyone to run away ...

In case you don't already know, and would like to know why I'd avoid any company that has that name associated with it:
https://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEy

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Just saw the car on TV today. $100,000. The company hopes to bring out a 4 door sedan soon.

As far as blazingly fast, I have to say 4 seconds is more than quick and blazingly fast is not an exaggeration. Name all the street cars with a 0-60 time of 4 seconds or less and the list will be far smaller than all those above by a loooonnnggggg shot.

Bruce

I guess I'd just have to stick with the regular Elise then. Half the price, just as fun, same chassis.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Tesla says cost per mile for "fuel" is $ 0.01. Won't take too long to make up some of the cost of those running gas.

If you drive one car 15,000 miles a year (average) for 20 years, and you average $4 per gallon of gas during those 20 years - at an average of 20mpg, you've still only spent $60,000 on gas.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
And as I said one could recover "some of the cost". I never said all of it!

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I doubt I'll ever see/own a Tesla but I've been seeing a little NEV (neighborhood electric vehicle) runnin' around our area. These things have a range of about 30-60 miles and have a top speed of about 25-30 mph-- Legal on roads posted up to 35 mph. If a good deal of your driving is grocery getting, or a short commute to work, these might make some sense, wouldn't you think?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
In Hawaii, they have all these little electric 2-person 'bugs' you can rent to run around the Honolulu downtown area...friend of mine rented one & went up to the state park on Diamond Head.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt I'll ever see/own a Tesla but I've been seeing a little NEV (neighborhood electric vehicle) runnin' around our area. These things have a range of about 30-60 miles and have a top speed of about 25-30 mph-- Legal on roads posted up to 35 mph. If a good deal of your driving is grocery getting, or a short commute to work, these might make some sense, wouldn't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

but not at 100grand it doesn't. Frankly, if the car really does end up costing that much it's bound to flop, IMO. I hafta agree it'd definitely be worth while for a daily commuter, if you're commute is less than 250miles round trip. But not if it's gonna cost me more than any normal car would.

You might even get an insurance break on it. I bet the insurance folks haven't heard of the car yet, and if you tell them "it's electric" they'll prolly think it's one of those slow ones... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I've seen the NEVs running around in a couple areas around here. Certainly worth while if you're commute is short, and you're grocery store can be reached by only using streets they allow them on. And of course, you don't mind driving an oversized golf cart on the streets where people tend to be less than patient or observant.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I think he means that the NEV is worth it, not the Tesla.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
I think he means that the NEV is worth it, not the Tesla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep-- If I had $100 grand I might get the NEV and one of those classic dream cars we've discussed on this forum.