• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedi sleeve question

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have never had to use one of the speedi sleeves before but I'm thinking about getting one for the fan pulley, and rear pinion. From information gathered from another post the sleeve is not as wide as the surface on the pulley, or the pinion. The sleeves measure around 1/2". Do you only push them on until they are at the contact area of the seal? It's hard to tell the exact area were the seal contacts the shaft. I was thinking they would be as wide as the surface of the pulley.

The sleeves look to much cheaper at Rockauto than NAPA.

They come in different widths. When I did the front pulley on my TR3A, I just picked one from the list by dimensions, and it was wide enough that I just seated the flange against the pulley and was done. The one given by application is not as wide, but still plenty wide IMO.

If your hub is in bad enough shape to need a Speedi-sleeve, then there should be a very definite mark where the seal rides. Just measure from that mark to the edge before you start installing the sleeve, and then you can measure again as you drive the sleeve on, to see where it is relative to where the seal rides.

If there is no mark, then I would suggest smearing the surface with grease and doing a trial installation, so you can see afterwards how far the seal pushed the grease. That will give you the measurement, to use as above.

Thanks Tom, and Randall.

Very good site Tom thanks for the link.

Randall I did not expect to hear from you on this. I figured you would be at Triumphest. I did try the grease trick, but the double lip seal wiped all the grease right off. I'll get this simple task taken care of, to much on the mind today, and not thinking things out.

mallard said:
I figured you would be at Triumphest.
I am, but I tossed the wife's laptop in the car (since she is now using a notebook size computer).

Randall hope you post a few pictures. If you see any of my friends from the DCTRA say hello for me.

Sorry, Keith, I only took a few pictures and they probably aren't very interesting to most. I'm mostly interesting in things like Jason's Holley conversion on his Stag; and the TR4 supercharger that Moss is showing off.

Talked to several folks from the DCTRA, but as usual I'm terrible with names ... only one I can recall is Pete Petersen.

Are you coming on the "AZ Roadrunner" later this month? I'll be there, if I can get some room reservations made.

I've never been on that drive, but it should be a good time (no frills). To many domestic duties, and out of town guests will make it impossible for me to attend. The people from cold country are coming early this year.