• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Side screen trip prep?

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There are three of us with sidescreens getting ready this week for a weekend trip. What tips can the forum offer as far as what basic tools and what spare parts should we take along? All cars are is good running condition...but these are 50 year old cars! Input appreciated! Gil

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Whatever spare parts you take with you will never be needed. That's the 1st Law of Murphy.

Each of you should take different items. I have seen TR owners with a bos of 12 quarts of oil in the trunk - just in case. That's crazy because all you ever need is one quart and you can get that at any gas station, walmart, etc.

In 2000, I drove 600 miles from Montreal to join up with another TR3A owner in Windsor, Ontario near Detroit. Then we convoyed together to Portland Oregon for VTR. Driving out of Yellowstone National Park, I noticed my generator was not charging. So when we filled up with gas at the gas station where we had stopped and my TR3A wouldn't re-start. It took us all of 5 minutes to "fix" the problem. We swopped batteries and for two days, I drove on Gary's fully charged battery while he was re-charging mine. Then in Portland, I bought a spare generator from an old friend (also an original owner) Bob Reinhold from Laguna Hills CA for $50.00 and two hours later, we were back to normal. That trip was a total of 7250 miles.

You have to be innovative and create your own solutions to any problems which may arise.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Don Elliott said:
Whatever spare parts you take with you will never be needed. That's the 1st Law of Murphy....
I'll second that!

I think I've told this story before: three weeks after buying my current Herald 1200 sedan, I took it on a 2,550-mile trip from NY to Minnesota and back. I had a respectably full tool box and some ignition and other small spares. I also had two minor problems:

1. A tire valve went bad during a lunch stop. Luckily, there was a tire shop about 50 ft. from the fast food joint where I'd stopped, and they replaced the valve.

2. My voltage regulator started sticking intermittently in Indiana, so I stopped at a Walmart and bought an extra battery, which I ended up not needing the rest of the trip!

If you know your car is in good condition, and you can trust it around town, there's really no reason why you shouldn't trust it on a trip. Sure, there are always unforeseen circumstances, but that's just as true with a new or nearly new car as it is with one 40-50 years old...like the air conditioner compressor that seized solid without warning on my '95 Mercury. Even my mechanic was briefly fooled into thinking that it was a bad starter...and then a seized engine...until he cut off the serpentine drive belt and found that the engine turned fine and it was only that compressor "locking" up the engine!

Basic hand tools, maybe a quart of oil...and your cell phone and road service card: that's really all you need. (And your gas mileage will be better with all the dead weight back home where it belongs!)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I probably carry too much stuff but then I often travel solo across the deserts of the Southwest where the next town may be 100 miles down the road.

I tend to focus on parts that will stop you cold and are not available over the counter (Don's point about oil).

I too had a generator fail (bearing... had to make a 'belt' out of rope to run the water pump from the crank pulley) but found I was able to drive from Prescott AZ to the top of Mt Lemmon on just the battery. Nervous work as it was getting dark by the time I got to the base of the mountain.

Take rope.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
A little creativity goes a long way too. I once did a roadside repair using a piece of McDonalds drink cup as a rear generator bearing. Left the belt a little loose ... it still charged and lasted the remainder of the trip.

And rather than carry a length of rope, I wear a leather belt that will do in a pinch, when combined with some baling wire (or safety wire). I've heard that ladies pantyhose will work too, but I've never had occasion to put that to the test.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
...and I once ripped out some wire to a radio speaker to tie the accelerator pedal linkage back together on a GT6+. I missed my haircut appointment, but at least I was able to get there to apologize...and then get back home again to make a more permanent fix! :laugh:

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Side screen trip prep

As Don and Co have said, you are unlikely to need anything that you take with you! Maybe that is because these cars just seem to keep on going!
I usually throw some old ignition components in a bag along with some Duck Tape. If you are overly concerned then a coil and a head gasket set don't take up much room. Maybe seal kits for brake and clutch cylinders.
My TR has never failed to get me home in 18 years. On its first rally, just after it arrived back in this country it was only running on three cylinders because of a burnt out exhaust valve and the generator failed. It still got me home, in the dark and fog without the lights on!
The only components that have caused problems since were a new condenser and a new spark plug. Maybe it is not a good idea to replace the ignition components before a long trip!

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Re: Side screen trip prep

TR3driver said:
I've heard that ladies pantyhose will work too, but I've never had occasion to put that to the test.

I have, back with my previous '72 beetle. The belt to the alternator broke (and that's really bad on a bug, as that's also the cooling fan for the engine) and my girlfriend at the time gave me her pantyhose, I tied it in a loop, and it worked. Lucky for me (in 2 ways!) they were already off her.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Bring the odd ball stuff for the car if you have it. Then compile your McGiver kit as noted above.

My TR7 throttle cable broke. $9 piece brought the car to a halt and you can't get those at Wal*Mart. I was 20 minutes away from my apartment at college......

I untied my shoelaces and attached one end to the throttle and the other though the drivers window where I could pull it. Hardly a nice smooth ride home, but we made it :smile:

Screw drivers, vice grips, fuses, wire, electrical meter, coil and other little stuff.

Based on what i read, I would invest in about 5' of adjustable link belt... this stuff: Adjustable Belting

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

GBRandy said:
My TR7 throttle cable broke. $9 piece brought the car to a halt and you can't get those at Wal*Mart.
Did you check in the bicycle section? I'm running a bicycle brake cable for the throttle cable on the Stag, and so far it has outlasted the purpose-made cable ($20 plus about $100 S&H) from Rimmers about 3:1.