• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

s u h4 needles

bodyshell2

Freshman Member
Hi I have build a 1340 cc engine with a 649 cam i am running a MED fast road / race head 36mm 30mm valves sizes compression ratio is 10.5 to 1 the carbs are twin H4 1"1/2 SU's can anyone give me a jet set up jet to start me off . Unfortunately there are no dyno,s available near my location and will have to do it the trial and error method .

Many Thanks

I have a 1380 with hot cam and similar compression. I have tested about 12 different needles and none are perfect. I think you will have to buy some and then start testing. I found too much fuel at low throttle, but good at high throttle. In all my testing, I could not get the excess fuel at low throttle to go away. By the way, my engine dyno was 95hp at the wheels so upper range is very good. I have a fuel/air meter to fine tune the car. Very necessary in my opinion. In general the 1.5 inch are too much carb so start with a normal or lean needle and experiment from there.
Jerry

I have a plus 40 overbore 1275 with your cam and am about 9.5:1. I am currently running AH2 needles on HS2 carbs. On a hot shutoff they look pretty good. I agree with Jerry that HS4 is over carbed.
I ran HS4 with full race everything (112 at the wheels) but not needed on a street motor.
Suggest you drop back to HS2 carbs.

I did try the mikuni carbs on my car. Still too much fuel at low throttle. But the car screamed like a Harley at high RPM!

I have a 286 cam, too hot for street use. So I got the 95HP at 5500 rpm. THat was the number I was shooting for. I bought the 1.5 carb set because I did not have any carbs. So I made them work. But the air/fuel ratio is key. At low Rpm, I watch the meter and if below 11, I know the engine is drowning in gas, and does not accelerate. But if you press the pedal slowly, it will catch up quicker and then take off like a rocket. I think these carbs give you a little more at high rpm at the sacrifice of low. If I did this engine over:
1. less carbs,
2. less cam
3 end ratio stock instead of 2.9 ( I only notice this issue in the mountains. Freeway it is great.)

Maybe smaller exhaust, the large bore is quite noisy. In any case it is a fun car to drive. In the mountains, my Healey is easier because I don't have to shift on the hills. But the mini would probably be more like that with the original end ratio.

Jerry