• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radiator Drain Tap: Blimey! How do you do it?

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
I flushed the radiator in my 6 yesterday. It must need some serious help (I put in a 3 to 6 hour driving detergent) as the water didn't flow so well, and sticking the garden hose in the fill spot caused an overflow very quickly... Anyway, I digress!

I had a devil of a time getting to the drain tap. To far to reach underneath, and to far (and to cramped) to reach in through the engine compartment. Reaching in though the engine compartment, I ALMOST got there. Even tried to use a screwdriver for extra length, but found that my hand's new shape from holding said screwdriver became a obstacle in itself.

I ended up jacking the car up, crawling underneath, and then opening up the tap.

Once I had her flushed and was ready to fill with detergent and water, I didn't want to have to do that again since I would be lying in water. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Putting on my thinking cap, I grabbed a long stick from a pile of kindling we have for the fireplace, and went in through the engine compartment with it. That got it closed... but how tight? I hope it wont vibrate open on the way to work this morning (or coming home this afternoon) and drop my coolant.

So, to make a long story short (to late now!), what's the best way to get to that drain tap? Is it really to jack her up and get under her? (which I may have to do when I drain the detergent and reflush)

Thanks!
Aldwyn

I am amazed! My car has a new replacement radiator installed by the PO. When I removed it I just removed the hoses, pulled it out, and set it aside.

Just now I was going to do the drain project. When I looked at the new radiator I found mine does not even have a drain.

I cannot believe someone would make or sell a radiator like that. I have a '76, does anyone know if the original radiator had a drain?

tomshobby said:
I cannot believe someone would make or sell a radiator like that. I have a '76, does anyone know if the original radiator had a drain?
'76 Spit didn't. You basically pull the lower rad hose off to drain it. BL probably saved 10-15 pence on that.

Re: Radiator Drain Tap: Blimey! How do you do it

76 TR6 does have a tap... my 6 is a '76. That's insane your new one doesnt! Maybe there is one that is just hard to see?

Drove mine about 3 hours today with the detergent in the radiator... so flush again tomorrow, and fill with 15% 50/50 Prestone, 85% water and a bottle of water wetter!

Also changing to a 165 degree thermo, so that should (I HOPE!) take care of my running hot issues...

Looks like Moss sells a tap. I would think you would have to tap the radiator, and thread it to put it in... wonder if it matters where it goes due to hitting something in the core you dont want to hit? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Aldwyn,

I had been thinking of getting an aluminum rad anyway so this one can stay the way it is. Besides I do not want to do any more this season, it is already well past time to have this car running. Thanks for checking on the tap availability though.

The majority of TR6 raiators that I have seen do not have drain taps. The ones that I have seen with drain taps were all in different places (just like radio antennae) and were most likely installed by a repair shop or dealer.

What's a drain tap? I always just undo my bottom hose. Isn't that how you are supposed to do it?