• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OD shifting hard!

79SpitfireBob

Lately my spit has been very "firm" whan going into overdrive. It used to just shift into OD nice and smooth, like a typical automatic transmission might feel when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Lately though it has been going into OD with a distinctive jolt. Could this just be low fluids or is something more maybe going on?

Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bob, I dont know about the spit but on the bottom of tr6 overdrive is a large brass cap that unscrews (about 1 1/2" in diameter) under the cap is the bronze filter, if it is pluged it will keep the O D from getting enough oil. Clean the filter and replace your gear oil with straight 50 wt. motor oil, It works better and lets it shift smoother than anything else I have tried. This is what the Roadster Factory use to recomend. If there is no filter than just replace the oil, If that doesnt work than you may need a rebuild. Allan

There are very few defects that can make it shift more firmly. Many folks do modifications to make the shift MORE firm. Maybe it has just started working like it should. Feather the throttle a bit if the jerk is too great.
D

It's a good idea to check the gearbox fluid level often with Laycock ODs. And as Dave indicates, feathering the throttle as the OD engages/disengages ensures a smoother transition and reduces wear on the internal clutch. It also helps to reduce engine RPM when engaging/disengaging OD.

My J-type OD (I assume this is what's in your TR-6?) always shifted a little abruptly, and it was professionally rebuilt. Fairly normal, I'd say.

Good luck, let us know.

Bob;

The OD in my 80 Spitfire (J-type) shifts quite smoothly. I would check the oil level and top up if necessary or drain and replace with GL4 or GL5. Also, there are two filters on the J-type. One is right under the flat plate directly under the exhaust pipe and the second is under a round, screwed in plug.

There use to be a great set of articles on the Buckeye Triumph Website. Do a search on this site for Buckeye and you should be able to find a reference to the OD articles.

You can always shift using the clutch if you still find it shifts with a jolt.

[ QUOTE ]
Bob;
There use to be a great set of articles on the Buckeye Triumph Website. Do a search on this site for Buckeye and you should be able to find a reference to the OD articles.

[/ QUOTE ]
The articles were removed from Buckeye's site some time ago. For those who haven't used this feature, there is a web archive site that stores a lot of old site info. You can still find the Nelson Reidel articles here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030630142722/https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/JOD/JOD1/JOD1.htm
D

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've got an OD related question also.

My TR6 used to have the OD, but doesn't anymore. I started pulling the trans this past weekend for a new clutch and I was wondering, can I remove all the wiring from the transmission switches, I guess it's sort of an OD harness? I'd like to remove it all from under the tranny cover, one less thing to worry about, and I'm pretty sure all this stuff does is interact with the OD and tell it which gear you're in correct? I already removed the switch and wiring in the dash when I rebuilt the steering column some time ago. I'm thinking removing it won't effect anything else with the car, just wanted to double check and make sure.