• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Headlights

sabot

Jedi Trainee
Hi guys, i'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but i can't find it.
Anyway, has anybody installed the newer type headlights in their car's yet?
I'm talking about the Sylvania Cool Blue or Silver Star lights,
or the Wagner, Tru View lights.
I'm not looking for numbers or facts, just your gut feelings if you have used them,
thanks tom

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you drive at night I would not use a stock head light

OP
S

sabot

Jedi Trainee
Well I need some better lights for driving at night because I wear sunglass's
when I drive at night.
i just noticed, all the lamps I listed are halagen's, do i have to worry about over heating of the wires?
tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No worries about overheating the wires (especially with the ones you listed); but getting more voltage to the bulbs will produce more light.

"Blue" headlights seem brighter, but are actually not as effective. The human eye doesn't deal as well with blue light, so it tends to dazzle rather than illuminate. You can read more about other problems here .

I tried the Silverstars in a non-LBC, and was very disappointed. A very slight improvement in lighting, but drastically shorter life. They both burned out within a year.

For optimum lighting in a TR, I would suggest adding relays (which will also reduce the load on those antique switches, extending their life); and using quality H4 lamps & bulbs. Beware of cheap imitations though, some of them are downright horrible. The Cibie/Valeo lamps that Daniel Stern sells are good, so are IPF & Wipac:
https://www.britishpacific.com/BPSite/landroverparts/IPF_lighting.html

Probably best to stick with standard 55/60 watt bulbs though, unless you also want to upgrade your charging system. That said, I really liked the 90/100 bulbs I had on my TR3A before it was wrecked (along with the 60 amp alternator, relays, etc.)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I recently installed these on the TR4 (and my other vehicle):

https://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=0301600118

They seem brighter on the VW Campmobile (the only one I have done lots of dark-sky night driving with since installing) but I have no data to back that up so it's just an opinion.

I do have relays on the TR4 headlamp circuits since I had previously noticed (as Randall points out) that the dash switch was getting toasty warm on long night drives.

OP
S

sabot

Jedi Trainee
thanks, i'll look into that website, i think i've seen them listed there before and at vicky brit.
and it looks like the p.o. upgraded the alt. to one off a volvo already for my tr8, and i'm looking into doing the same on my spitty.
tom

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not for everyone, but this is the way I'm going, this time, with a relay per filament:

Relaysonheadlightbucket.jpg

Oneextrawire.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I went with relays on the Midget - plus on the horn and the driving light (and shortly the brake lights) I'm pleased with the results and the safety.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
go to :
03/20/10 - need a headlight upgrade- for the previous discussion. I see that the wires to the bulb have not been upgraded-this needs to be done, say, 10 ga wire.
Rob
ps can some please tell me how to make a link to a previous thread-I'm an old dog.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
trfourtune said:
ps can some please tell me how to make a link to a previous thread-I'm an old dog.
Details vary a bit depending on what software/OS you are running and of course there are different ways. But one way is to open the thread you want to reference, then click in the area that shows the URL (which should highlight the whole thing) and press Ctl-C (meaning to hold down the 'Ctl' or 'Ctrl' key while you press the 'C' key).

Then navigate back to the post where you want to put a link, and press Ctl-V. Eg,
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u..._Che#Post664159

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
You should be able to get plus50 (% brightness) halogen bulbs, and at least one mfr is now making plus80's, but at a price. I've recently completed a day/night rally using plus50 bulbs and managed to see and avoid kangaroos, wombats and sundry other nocturnal wildlife.

Have tried various blue bulbs and found them to give poor vision on black bitumen roads, judged against white light H4's.

Viv.

OP
S

sabot

Jedi Trainee
i'm jealous, "kangaroos and wombats?"
i think i should just bite the bullet and buy complete kits for the 8, and the spitty. now i just have to come up with an excuse to tell the "boss".:nonono:
tom

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randall- Someone is putting a relay kit together for the Wedge car. Basically doing what you show but having the 4 in a row on the front sheet metal

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
He's not quite done yet

There are kits out there for the other TR cars. Moss, VB, Advance, I bet even Painless has a kit

newmexTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have to second (or third) the recommendation for Daniel Stern's products. I bought some Euro spec Cibies H4 7" lamps from him for the TR3 and the difference is really stunning. From a safety perspective of other cars seeing you and you being able to see the road better, this is a great mod.

They also happen to be gorgeous looking.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
178HCRt.jpg

-Gavin