• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Headlight chrome ring ques...

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Okay, so this is embarrassing... how can a simple headlight ring mount be confusing me? There is the chrome ring, the fixed headlight bucket, and that one little silly clip that the screw goes through (attaching the chrome ring to the headlight bucket)... how hard can it be??... and yet I can't seem to get the correct orientation of the clip to make them work!! Could someone please put me out of my misery? :wall:

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

<span style="font-weight: bold">BANG !</span> :jester:

Tim

PS - I've had the front end off my car for 18 months.
I don't even know where my rings ARE !

HealeyPassion said:
Okay, so this is embarrassing... how can a simple headlight ring mount be confusing me? There is the chrome ring, the fixed headlight bucket, and that one little silly clip that the screw goes through (attaching the chrome ring to the headlight bucket)... how hard can it be??... and yet I can't seem to get the correct orientation of the clip to make them work!! Could someone please put me out of my misery? :wall:

Cheers,
Steve

Sorry Steve, but we can't put you out of your misery. You own a Healey. Welcome to the club. Club misery love's company.

First question, you have the correct ring? Bucket?

Top inside of the ring and maybe the sides, there is a lip that will slide behind the lip on the bucket. That hold the top and sides of the ring in place. This is all from memory, as far as how many inside lips there are.

I found the hardest part was getting the ring to clip into place. You may have to push/press, turn, slide the chrome ring side to side to get the top clips and maybe side clips on the ring to get behind the clips on the bucket.

Once those lips get pressed together, turn the chrome ring to line up the exterior top rivet on the chrome ring with the stainless steel bead on the wing. That should help you locate the hole in the bottom of the bucket with the bottom tab on the headlight ring. I don't remember if there is a clip on the bucket the screw goes into, or if it's just the bucket.

Patience is need to figure it out. What doesn't, right. Do not use any rubber mallets or try hitting it with anything. Well except your head if you must. It will dent. It's a matter of a press fit. Pressing and turning it. You may even here a snap. That may be patience, so ignore that sound and Press On. Yup, pun intended.

Make sure you're using the correct size screw.
Good luck.

Others may chime in with an easier way.
Like...Have someone do it for you.

There should be a chrome rivet that is at the 12 o'clock position. Use a nail to go through the screw hole to align it (this assumes that you have the capture on the bucket).

I donated a couple chrome rings to the I-35 Austin to Georgetown, TX stretch. They make a couple pings sounds before leaving. Never let my foot off the gas knowing they're a cheap replacement.

tahoe healey said:
There should be a chrome rivet

If there is they have been replated or are aftermarket.Keoke :laugh:

that is at the 12 o'clock position. Use a nail to go through the screw hole to align it (this assumes that you have the capture on the bucket).

This is what my headlight bucket looks like.... the chrome ring has a screw with a clip..

Attachments

• 21367.jpg
    21367.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 225
Oh, sorry here is the ring and clip.... does this all look right?

Steve

Attachments

• 21369.jpg
    21369.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 215
Yes the parts look right.However, the threaded screw retainer [clip] may be worn so that it's thread retaining hole is too large to securely hold the screw or the retainer [clip]is misshapen so that does not lock in the ring holding the Ring securely in place when the screw is tightened.--Fwiw--Keoke

Steve / Keoke

The clip you show was already fixed to my bowl, I seem to remember (at work at moment) that the screw came with a small 'U' clip. I assume the u clip slips over the square / hole of the clip you show? (as a u or j clip would on sheet metal edge)
I have not fitted mine yet as I want to adjust the headlight beam when I either take it to a garage with a rolling road or to a MOT test station.

Perhaps someone can check the parts list in the meantime?

cheers Andy

Speaking of rivets....Does anyone have an idea of why they are there? Can't think of any purpose they would serve, except for indicating "top". The rivets on my car were always copper, never chrome, as I recall.

Yes Andy, there should be a small nut plate that slips over that clip for the screw to thread into.--Keoke