• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine assembly question

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi
I see that I have been registered here for nearly a year and never started a question or properly introduced my self so I guess that should be first.

My "toy" is a dark red 1970 Herald convertible. I have owned it for just over two years, and unfortunately haven't driven it much more than Dale has driven his car. At 400km, the engine bit the dust. Of course that was after I replaced the transmision and the diff. The first engine was so worn out that I got a different engine and then wound up having to rebuild that also!
At least the body is in good shape.

When I am not playing with my toys, I work as a failure analysis engineer with ic chips, I am also very slowly working on a masters in materials science. I live in Jerusalem, and have three little assistant drivers (ages 7,4,and 2)

Now to the question. I am about to put the pistons back in, and the instructions are quite clear as to which directions the oil control ring are supposed to be oriented, however say nothing about the 1st and 2nd compression rings. Does it make any difference? I realize that the gaps should be on opposite sides of the piston. Just which side?
Also, wisely or not, I had the engine shop put the rings on the pistons. Now it occured to me that we didn't check the gap prior to putting them onto the piston. Given that the engine was rebored, to match the new pistons, (and I am using the rings that came with the pistons) should the gap be set correctly from the manufacturer (Deves) or should I take them off the pistons to measure?

cjm

Jedi Trainee
hi 70herald,rings rotate during piston strokes,so position is a debatable subject,differant engine builders use different installation position's. i position the top and second ring gaps opposite, over wrist pins.i also de-bur ring corners a small amount to ensure there is no scratching,also lightly run emory cloth in direction of movement on rings,lightly.it is better to check piston ring gaps,this is not a job worth leaving,the result could mean no gap after warm up,bad news.are you doing re-build yourself? there is a guide that is reasonably informative,alot can be used for a reliable build on yours.
https://www.totallytriumph.net/spitfire/engine_building.shtml

T

Tinster

Welcome to the auto shop!

So you managed to purchase the Crypt Car's younger
brother? That rascal ran off a few years ago with
a pair of shiny faced Yugos with short fender skirts
and we never knew what became of him.

You say he made it to Jerusalem, Israel?
And then died on you? Well, your neck of
the woods has had a bit more luck at raising
the dead than we have here in the tropics.

But we have Chupacabras!! I saw one just the other night!!

best wishes

Dale in Bayamon, US colony of Puerto Rico /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
But we have Chupacabras!! I saw one just the other night!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Dale, IMHO *that* would be a better name for your car than the "Crypt Car". "La Chupacabra". I think it has a nice ring to it. The locals might freak out a little, though.

Oh, and welcome 71Herald... glad you decided to jump into the pool. Hope your project goes well. I agree with the previous post that it's a really good idea to always carefully check ring gaps before assembly. Only dire consequences can occur if they're wrong and the engine is put back together and started up!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dale's Chupacabra is living in his garage and is red in color.

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
You say he made it to Jerusalem, Israel?

[/ QUOTE ]

He must have come from here since (or his evil brother) since my car has been stuck in front of my house for far longer than yours. The neighbors has started calling it my "sculpture"

OP

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
it is better to check piston ring gaps,this is not a job worth leaving,the result could mean no gap after warm up,bad news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is a convincing argument, that will keep me busy tonight.

Yes I am rebuilding the engine my self. Basically I have done everything on this car myself short of stuff which requires special tools. I took a look at that guide for engine building. Basically, I have been using the Bently manual for reference on almost everything.