• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Datsun 2000

R6MGS

Yoda
Found this on a Toronto Classifieds website Datsun Ad
I am not sure how much the owner is looking to get out of it, but if I can get it cheap enough it might be a fun car to play with for awhile. How is the resale value on these? Is there even a market for them? Any other comments are welcome.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Had one of those in the early 80's; even had the same rims on mine. Great cars with a loyal following. Definitely rates as a "wish-I'd-never-sold-it". Still plenty of parts and support for them - go for it!

Mickey

Awsome little cars! I've been considering them for the japanese part of my takeover!

I've seen them in price ranges competitive with mid-production MGB's... IE: all over the place - High for good ones (but still cheap inna $20k range), and low for the bad-but-restorable one's ($500-2000).

Other cool one's are the Honda S600 and the Toyota 2000 GT. The 'Yota is in the astronomical financial scale, and hard to find... The Honda is still somewhat affordable, but almost as hard to find. The Datsun is the best of the 3... because the market hasn't yet noticed them enough. They should be in the same market as the 'yota and the honda, but I think they made more of them - but at this point, ton's of them have rotted, so....

Buy one now! My $1 and 2¢ worth. If I could find one in decent shape... I might invest in it.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had 3 in the late 70's, early 80's; a 1600, and 2 2000s. The last one, a '70, was just beautiful; I bought it for $2000 in "82, I think. 2000s were pretty quick, w/ a very strong 5-main bearing engine. Of course, the 240Z put a quick end to them. I think there was a MG license in there somewhere(?). I know the SUs were Hitachi-made.
There was a place in Kent, WA, that was kind of like TRF, called Rallye Roadsters, don't know if they're still around. No one really knew what they were, even back then... I saw one about two weeks ago on the 405, and boy, was it SMALL! Good luck, I sure had a lot of fun w/ mine!

Best, Kevin Browne
'59TR3A #58370

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I just got an email from the owner....he's not far from me so maybe I'll go out an take a look on the weekend, by the looks of it in the pics it looks relatively solid....but I don't think I'd give him much more than $500.
How difficult are these to work on?

Also theres a Honda S600 sitting just down the street from me.....been there at least 10 years, I've bugged the owner a few times but she won't give it up.....very nice original car with hardtop just sitting outside in the open.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I see a a 1960's Toyota 1900 sedan every day on the way home from work... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif Would that do?

But seriously now, I understand that the Datsun Fairlady roadster's are well worth going after.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If it has the 2-bow top frame, I have a brand new Biscuit top for it!

You got a lot of good deals from that upholstery shop buyout Tony! I love the new Alfa one... I pull the box out and look at it about once a week.... Yeah I ain't right!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kenny - there was all kinds of unusal stuff there....I even have an XKE top!

...& I had 3 white MG TD tops!

Some of the places that made them (My alfa top for example) aren't even in business anymore! I checked! They made a good top though.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
well if I ever need a top.....

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
Love em! I've owned 4.. Wish i still had one!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll hunt one up and trade ya for the Cortina! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Well.....I finally got around to calling this guy.....and it's sold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ......but I've already moved on to a new love interest.....a ruset brown(yuk) TR6.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
R6MGS, I guess it all comes full-circle! Probably the same reason I never owned one, probably passed a TR or Jaguar on the way to check out the Datsun and forgot where I was heading! Seriously though, the Datsun 2000 is a car I have never forgotten having a fascination with, glad you posted on it, I will be keeping my eyes open and not let the next one slip away, quite rare around here these days. Best of luck on the TR6!
Brian

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
My co-worker got a Fairlady 2000 solex car last winter. It's scary fast, and handles nice.(think MG midget, with a 2 litre motor and sidedraft Webbers!) He wants another one now, and we know a local gent with 9 of them!
Parts are available. The 2000 with the overhead cam can be expensive, a timing chain set runs $1300, but the older 1600/1800 with the pushrod OHV is a tank engine. very dependable.
Parts are available, you just need to find the suppliers.
Definatly a worthy car to obtain.
They are only about the size of an MG midget.