• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1982 Datsun 210 in Denver

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just received a note that there's a 1982 Datsun 210 at U PULL & PAY Denver , Colorado Row: 45 Added: Apr 01, 2022
The note comes in from an open query I have with Row52.com
I've got no other info (auto? std? anything left of the car?) but figured this might be of interest to someone.
Doug

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Wish I was a bit closer, would love to have a spare.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A lot of the pick'n pull wreckers have ads (or access of some sort) to individuals who will pull parts for a fee. I'd think about this but being on t'other side of the 49th parallel jacks up shipping costs. Doug

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
IF it's got a five speed, you've got a reasonably small fortune calling your name. Doug

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I finally got a chance to look at this car yesterday and it is a 5-speed car. The bad news is it has 196K miles and the prices at this junkyard have effectively doubled since the last time I bought a transmission from them. They want $254.99 + $15 core + tax making it around $300 and no real guarantee that it works. There is a 30 day warranty, but doubtful it can be installed in that timeframe to test it out.

What does the market look like for these today? The last one I sold was many years ago and they were around $500-$600. Is that still accurate? Is it worth the trouble given the high miles?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I got mine (about 16 years ago) it was about $450 with shipping. In that time frame and later I saw then go for as High as $1810 and over $1000 was not unusual. I haven't had much interest in keeping up since but I have read that the prices are back down, maybe $5-600. I guess hens teeth are just hard to come by. Maybe someone with more recent info will chime in.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I finally got a chance to look at this car yesterday and it is a 5-speed car. The bad news is it has 196K miles and the prices at this junkyard have effectively doubled since the last time I bought a transmission from them. They want $254.99 + $15 core + tax making it around $300 and no real guarantee that it works. There is a 30 day warranty, but doubtful it can be installed in that timeframe to test it out.

What does the market look like for these today? The last one I sold was many years ago and they were around $500-$600. Is that still accurate? Is it worth the trouble given the high miles?
PM sent.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I just sold 2 - 1 with Shifter but needed Clutch fork, bearing carrier, 60 on the side of the case, not a Dog Leg - $1,100
Second one included all needed parts are well as an Adapter kit with Drilled Flywheel so all new owner needs to do is purchase Pressure Plate and Clutch assembly. Sold for $2k. Tranny was clean and nice and video showed it able to shift into all gears. As far as rebuilding - I had my tranny for Bugsy IV rebuilt 2 years ago by Glenn's MG in Tampa area. Replaced all bushings, synchronizers, and did maintenance on tranny. Discovered one of the gears was installed backwards so only engaging 3/4 of the opposite gear. Put back together. I had a strange Whirring issue that I thought was in the tranny. Turned out Pilot Bushing was loose and needs some Locktite Red to keep it in place.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We swapped in a rebuilt 5 speed a fair number of years ago, but the transmission seemed to lock up shifting between 1st and 2nd, so haven't driven it. Finally pulled the tranny last summer, but it's still sitting in a corner.
Backwards gear Jim? Good grief! My old Buell had the rear bearings replaced a couple of times turns out that they don't last as long if they're put in left to right, instead of right to left (or whichever it is).
Anyone got suggestions for the locking transmission? Thanks, Doug

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I guess I should close out this thread by saying I bought the transmission from this junkyard and struck a deal with drooartz. It will be in its way to Utah soon!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Glad to hear it was saved.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
@mrsprite figured out that this is the 3rd one he's sold me over the years. What a great source!