• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Choke's apart...

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
...dahubby said, "I've never seen a damned choke like this."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Back to the garage, updates coming.

[ QUOTE ]
...dahubby said, "I've never seen a damned choke like this."

[/ QUOTE ]

And his point would be...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif
Mickey

That's exactly what I asked him!!!

Here's a pic. Can someone explain to him how exactly it works? Dahubby can fix anything, once he knows how it works, or is supposed to work. All I know is that with the choke apart, and the cable off, the car started immediately. No 25-30 tries.

Attachments

• 103263-choke003.jpg
    103263-choke003.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 162
Looks like the old Solex choke on VW's. As the metal coil heats up, it uncurls and turns, moving a pin which moves the butterfly. Not sure if that's what you've got, but looks like it.

Mickey

You missing a piece. There is a metal pen that goes where the red is on the attatched file and it comes out of where the red arrow it. It look like the little red drawing I made from the side with a notch cutout of it.

Attachments

• 103266-choke.JPG
    103266-choke.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 126
Looks like you have the stromberg waterchoke that has been converted to a manual choke. The site from my other post https://www.paulbunyan.net/~jasko/choke/ will cover pretty much all of it but the modified part which is the part where the choke cable goes to. On the water choke that piece would be similar but instead of a cable uses the temp of the coolant to adjust the spring and thus the amount of choke.

Oookay.

I looked in my Bentley and didn't 'see' that part you drew for me in their diagram adam. Could it be that part was never there? Is that a crucial part?

A converted water choke? Is that a bad thing?

Okay. Dahubby's sleeping. I might have gone out to the garage and messed with the choke myself. ((shhh...in case I made things worse we won't tell))

See pic. That red pin thing by the arrow should move when I open the choke right? But it hits that metal pin to the left of it and won't move. Wants to, but can't. I mean, when the other piece (that has the cable on it) gets screwed back on correctly, that pin can't move because it hits. It's like it should go on the other way or something, or be on the other side of that other pin (are you confused yet?) so that it has the range of movement it needs.

Does that make any sense? And could this be part of the problem?

REMEMBER. As far as we are concerned, I wasn't fiddling with nuttin tonight.
evil2.gif

Attachments

• 103326-choke.jpg
    103326-choke.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 131
Just so everyone knows I'm haven’t posted anything tonight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The red piece is the fast idle cam. On the stock water choke as the car warms up the spring pulls on the pin (see pic) allowing the cam to move counter clockwise and lower the idle. The brass piece at the 6 o clock position from the pin is the fast idle pin. It holds the fast idle cam in place at idle. From the look at your picture the pin you’re talking about is in the no choke position. If you open up the throttle so that the fast idle pin (should be spring loaded and move away from the cam) is no long touching the idle cam the pin you described should be able to be moved clockwise. If it’s still not moving you may have found the source of the problem. #3 is the fast idle pin.

waterchoke.jpg

Oh, I'm sorry guys I was looking for the pin on the wrong side. It is there. Oh and if you take off the choke actuator, then it is set to "on". I don't think it is adjusted right.

Stewart. Dahubby read your entire link just now. And 'after I'm done fiddling with the boat (getting ready to go fishing Friday) I'll look at your car some more."

Grrrrr. Priorities. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Hmmm Boat and fishing You mean you guys actually have water in that elusive liquid form? If you want to go fishing up here you drive out to the middle of the lake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh we have dozens of lakes around here. And if there's water, he'll fish it. And with it being March, I expect to see very little of the man through, oooh October? THAT is why it's imperative that my B is starting/running and everything's in order BEFORE he hooks up that boat. He's leaving Thurs. night for Lake of the Ozarks...

When I first got the B he was fishing & the headlights went out. Called him (was at our friends') and his solution? "Don't drive at night." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Time's a ticking...

Hood's open, dahubby is under it, has tools in his hand and he's grumbling. That's a good sign, right?
rofl3.gif

It starts! YAY! Also replaced the vacuum hose (which had nothing to do with the problem) and a couple others while he was under there. Idle's about 850-9, fires right up.

What'd he do? I asked that. He said, "I fixed it."
hammer.gif

IF she starts up first turn tomorrow morning, I'm going to let that man go fishing next week!
fish2.gif

hahah!! congrats... hope it's fixed guud :p

[ QUOTE ]
his solution? "Don't drive at night."

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats almost a direct quote form the prince of darkness himself.
"A proper gentelman (or in this case lady) does not motor after dark" Joseph Lucas.

Rather scary, hey banjo?

Started right up today. But I don't like the noise I hear coming from my muffler/tailpipe now. WTH? Is this like the Twilight Zone or something? I know, I know, it's an MG. Going to let it run a bit and 'mention' it to dahubby when he gets home. He's not leaving to go fishing til tomorrow. Might have something to keep him busy this afternoon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Just remember
Fixing one thing leads to at least 2 more new items to fix. Or at least is always seems to end up like that.

I'm learning that Stewart. My muffler sounds like it's a pot of water boiling!
frusty.gif