• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Boot Lid Reinforcing Supports Question, TR3A

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello everyone

I am continuing to block out and final sand my body panels, prepping for paint (which I thought I'd have finished months ago). Finished the boot lid last night - photos of my progress below. I final blocked this out in 400 grit dry, using powdered guide coat to show me my surface scratches and texture. The white paint is an epoxy I used below my gray primer (for contrast and to tell me to stop sanding before I hit metal or filler). Below the sanded boot lid photos, I have included two photos of the underside of the boot lid. I remember removing disintegrating horsehair from between the "X" pattern reinforcement and the boot lid skin. Now that the horsehair is gone, I am wondering if I should use some sort of filler in this location? I could add some rubberized caulk-type seam sealer in these areas to bridge the gap between the skin and the "X" reinforcement. That would be easy to apply prior to paint. Any thoughts on whether this is necessary and what product I might use in this application? Thanks much.

Pat

bootlidtopguidecoat.jpg

bootlidfinishedsand.jpg

BootLidXpattern.jpg

BootLidXPatternClose.jpg

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Pat,
Our cross bars are different, mine are round and they had some sort of rubber pieces under them to fill the gaps. I could not tell what it was since it disintegrated upon touching, but I was going to use some rubber seal that is sticky on one side to replace it.
PS: have not got my car back yet from the stripper, maybe this week! In the meantime, I have a TR4, MGB, and my TR3A engine that are being worked on in my garage.

Jerry

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Jerry

You have the later model boot lid. My car is TS38096 which falls in the earlier category of boot lids.
I've been using some "Tiger Seal" from UPOL for seam sealing. It goes on a lot like bathroom caulk and is somewhat easy to tool. Stays flexible and is easily paintable. Used it all over my boot seams and inside my car (floor pan, firewall, etc.). Much better than the Eastwood Seam Sealer and cheaper too.

Anxious to see your car after the stripper. Your garage is enviable. I have to fill my driveway with parts just to move around in my tight quarters.

Take care. Hope to visit soon.

Pat

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I think that the horsehair stuff was in there to prevent rattling of the brace against the trunk lid, much the same as the rubber pieces in the later style brace. When I was restoring my car, I was going to stuff some felt in there, but then I got a post 60k body and didn't have to worry about it anymore.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I did stuff felt in mine; seemed to work OK.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had the shop that painted the car put in some type of adhesive instead of the felt or horsehair. I would have to contact them to find out what they used. I also said to only put it on the backside edge of the rib. That way when you open the lid you will not see it. I did the same with the hood.

OP
PatGalvin

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had the shop that painted the car put in some type of adhesive instead of the felt or horsehair. I would have to contact them to find out what they used. I also said to only put it on the backside edge of the rib. That way when you open the lid you will not see it. I did the same with the hood.
Thanks to all responses. I think I'll use the adhesive flexible seam sealer (Caulking gun applied) on the back edge of the reinforcing ribs and then paint over it. I wouldn't want to use felt, as I had some serious corrosion where the old horsehair was located and soaked those areas in rust encapsulant. I'd like that to last a long time and it seems like felt could hold moisture.
Much appreciated.
Pat