• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 exhaust?

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello-
I would like to do some work on the exhaust, I do not have headers, and presently have the factory exhaust. The mufflers are a bit shot and would like to at the very least get rid of the back set. THat being said, would like to also get rid of the stock front mufflers for a set of something not so restrictive, but also do not want a set of pipe that scream. IT seems the diameter of the downpipe vs the size of the stock exhaust on the end size is very choked down. WOuld like to keep the large tubes the same size from front to back. We have a '56 100 vintage race car and the only muffler is a stubby ss supertrap which we run w/out any baffles, and its not loud at all. Realize the 6 cyc car is very different. With all the various American hot rod mufflers there has to be something neat and sweet for the 3000... Right?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:
OPINION
The stock BJ8 exhaust is the neatest and sweetest unit on this car, which is dictated by ground clearance and European noise standards. However, a common modification is to use a truncated side exhaust.Similarly, there are aftermarket kits available.

Country flag
SC Parts lists at least one 'big bore' exhaust for BJ8s. I assume this means the tubing isn't 'choked down.'

SC Parts BJ8 Exhaust Systems

I have no experience with these (but I'm tempted). SC sometimes has free shipping offers; I think it extends to the States (may have one going on now).

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
I agree with the opinion above. The stock exhaust is not restrictive and side exhausts are deafeningly loud. Pat Moss found them heck on earth when she won the Spa Sofia Liege Rally in a Healey in 1961.

If you want more noise and not really any extra power, leave the two rear mufflers off and just use the front two exiting at the rear.

For more power the Denis Welch camshaft that fits without modifying the block will give a worthwhile boost without any noticeable loss of torque.

My BJ7 is deafening on the standard exhaust, much louder than my TR3A. I wish there was a way to shut it up!

Ash

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My BJ8 has a BJ7 type exhaust fitted. (No rear box and straight through to rear)
This was fitted when I purchased the car and even though I am aware it is not correct it seems to work fine and makes a nice sound. Not sure if this exhaust will be reducing the power output?
I will eventually change it but its a long way down the "to do" list.

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Guys, I've used glass packs as replacements, keeping the original pipes and exit places. On the BJ8, I kept the stock rear mufflers when the fronts wore out and used Thrush 2" inlet/2"outlet glass packs. They are low profile and fit well for clearance, and come in different lengths ( 27"-#24202 and 31"-#24204 ). Step down with adapters where necessary. This will work on the earlier 6 cyl. cars also. For the rears, check out 17" - #24210 ( 1.75" inlet/outlet ). I got mine from Summit Racing Catalog. Paint them with hi-temp black and save a lot of money. Great sound too, with no resonance or drone. Bob