• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trophy for the Bugeye!!

Country flag
:banana: So last year, so we could park in the infield of the fair, we took our 100-6 to the Apple Harvest Festival up in Adams County, PA. By entering the car, we could park in the car show right in the middle of the festival, rather than in a field a mile away, and be bussed in. So the 100-6 was there in the middle of 200+ Fords and Chevys, etc. of various years from 1920 on up. The only British car in sight, and it won People's Choice for it's class, the 1950's.
So as we were leaving, I told my wife that this year we would enter the Bugeye, and see what happens this time. So (as you all know from my never ending series of questions the last couple of months) in July I started trying to get the Bugeye back on the road, since it has been waiting patiently for me for quite a few years while I worked on the 100-6.

Long story short, yesterday was the day. 287 cars, the Bugeye and a great looking MGA and a nice MG Midget the only British cars on the field. And there were some really nice cars there, from Cobras to - well, just about everything.

BEST OF SHOW!!!!!! :banana: :devilgrin: :banana: :banana:

:thankyousign: Thanks to all of you (and my future son-in-law John) who helped me get her back on the road- she's still got a very long way to go, I think nostalgia and "my (fill in the blank) used to have one of those" won the day for us.

Larry (and my wife Pam who talked to all of the folks who stopped to look at her).

bugimike

Yoda
Best of show definitely REQUIRES a picture Larry!!!! Congrats!!! :thumbsup:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my goodness, well done indeed.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks everybody! Pics coming later this week. But remember, she's no Ms Agatha, she's still got a long ways to go. (Ms Agatha is her hero)

:thankyousign:

Larry

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Kudos indeed! Well done!
Confirms what Frogeye owners know: crowd pleaser extraordinaire

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At shows always folks standing around Miss Agatha takeing photos and telling stories.

I just love it, upsets the american iron folks. hehe.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Yep Jack, that's how it went. People would be standing there telling us their LBC story, and the next thing you knew my wife would have their kid in the drivers seat, getting their picture taken. The Best of Show award was a people's choice, and the Bugeye got over a hundred votes. It's really funny, because she's a long ways from being a show car, still has the original dash, torn and worn seats, chipped paint job, etc... I just got finished redoing the brakes, creating and covering the inside panels, putting carpet in, dist cap, wires, plugs and rotor, and a new master cylinder. She doesn't look that great, but the folks loved her! She was the only car there with a constant crowd around her.

Attachments

• 18714.jpg
    18714.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 151

CraigZ

longbridgehealey said:
Yep Jack, that's how it went. People would be standing there telling us their LBC story, and the next thing you knew my wife would have their kid in the drivers seat, getting their picture taken. The Best of Show award was a people's choice, and the Bugeye got over a hundred votes. It's really funny, because she's a long ways from being a show car, still has the original dash, torn and worn seats, chipped paint job, etc... I just got finished redoing the brakes, creating and covering the inside panels, putting carpet in, dist cap, wires, plugs and rotor, and a new master cylinder. She doesn't look that great, but the folks loved her! She was the only car there with a constant crowd around her.

Well deserved. Our tiny Spridgets are 100% curiousities nowadays, and a Bugeye is even more unusual with its happy smiling face. Add to that your willingness to share the car with others with your wife's putting kids in the driver's seat - I bet it really connected with the visitors. I go to too many shows where the cars are not cars. Yeah, they look like cars but they're untouchable - they're like your Mom's living room furniture, look but don't touch. They're preserved relics not running vehicles. Your car was FUN and approachable. And I cheer you for that! :cheers:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We have a pair. Ain't it a joy.

Attachments

• 18715.jpg
    18715.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 154
OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Yes indeed!!

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Maybe we can be a matched set.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Bookends!

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
It isn't just the kids that love a Frogeye at a car show.
All these beauty queens had me take their pics with their camera phones sitting behind the wheel.
"It's soooo cute!" was exclaimed over and over.
I just get such a kick out of the crowd's response to a BE.
Even a paint job needing old beast like Screamin' Mimi
gets attention if not awards.
Sigh...one day she'll get that new makeup.

Attachments

• 18716.jpg
    18716.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 123
OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Isn't it great? People seem to love the looks of the car as much today as they did fifty years ago!

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
longbridgehealey said:
Isn't it great? People seem to love the looks of the car as much today as they did fifty years ago!

...and some people still hate it. The designer of the sprite prototype, Gerry Coker, was at the Austin Healey Conclave in San Diego last year. He gave a very clear impression he did not like what happened to the car after he left the company. Oh well, can't please them all. I like it as much now as I did as a kid.

Brian

Country flag
... but he always follows that story with a statement about how he now is happy to claim it since it has a popular following. All sort of tongue in cheek.