• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Seat Dimensions

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Everybody,
I was wondering if anyone had some measurements handy of their back seat. I'm trying to make a new surround and found I never wrote this stuff down. :wall: Attached photo shows the points I'm looking for. #1 and #3 are from the lip opening. #2 is from the junction of the surround-to-bulkhead forward to the raised hump in the surround. That would be the minimum distance between junction and hump. Hope that made sense. :crazy:

Thanks

Greg

I'm surprised your making one, but being a man of many talents why not. I believe there are two panels on the market, one from kilmartin that already has the lip to the correctish size, and the other that moss / ahspares etc have that has an inch lip all the way round the seat openings and you have to grind/belt sand to size (trial fitting the pans as you go). Hence I had the later!!
As you can see from your photo above the lip is nearly ground away in your measurement point 1-3. You can see my panel with the full edge lip below:
https://www.austin-healey3000.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=5132899
I will take the measurements when I get home and post, but as you can see my car had just about a full back end replacement (on a cellette jig)

cheers andy

I appreciate the help. The part I bought from Moss years ago didn't look like yours at all. The seat holes were open at the front where they weld to the heel board. The part was a joke. It was flat but had the beads around the circumference of the seat holes. Having the beads made bending the surround down to meet the heel board a nasty chore. My plan is to stretch the tabs along the wheel arches to get it down to the heel board, then make the beads.

Another problem with the Moss part was the beads were not made in the correct position. I had to cut all the way to the crown of the bead to give the seat pans any hope of sitting flush to the surround. :madder:

Greg

dimension 1 the widest part across pan opening is 16.3/8" (more or less from start of hump to hump) whilst dimension 2 from the backpanel to start of hump is 3" to 3.1/8" (dependant on the seam sealer) and finally dimension 3 the minimum from hump to hump is 3.3/4"

and if your doors do not fit its not my fault
:wink:
cheers Andy

ps my panel was from ahead4healeys, i guess you could get it from bob yule at autofarm who they now partner

Thanks Andy, that helped a lot. I was off on the #2 measurement so I moved the holes back a bit. Got a late start on it today but did make some progress. I'm thinkin' the panel beating will take a couple days since we have rain in the forecast.

Greg,

Not being a "Purist", as an alternative to rebuilding and reupholstering those tiny rear seats that would NEVER get used (I sure wouldn't put my g-kids in them) I filled the space with a VERY useful "glove box".

Tim

Image47.jpg

Image48.jpg

Image50.jpg

Cottontop said:
(I sure wouldn't put my g-kids in them)
I used to ride in those seats not long after my dad bought the car in late '67. I remember climbing up the knockoff onto the tire and dropping into the back seat.