• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A It's the small stuff

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The small stuff can be the most time consuming and frustrating when doing a restoration. I just discovered this while installing the lift the dot studs to the back of the car. My car is a 1956 that was delivered with a hard top, no convertible top. I believe there should be one more stud on the side for the hood stick cover. I've also seen pictures that show two studs in that area. After looking I can see no indication that a hole was ever drilled in the body for the stud. I don't have an original convertible top or hood stick cover to see if it should be there. I do have a tonneau cover for the car and it does not have a fastener for the missing stud. Now I have to get a hood stick cover to find out where to drill the hole.

Attachments

• DSC04229.jpg
    DSC04229.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 191

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Of course when you get a hood stick cover you have to install the female LTDs on it -- so having it in hand isn't going to tell you where the stud should be.

Be aware (perhaps you are) that the location of that stud changed along the way. At some point they went with a tonneau that had a slash in it to help it tuck behind the seats with straining the zipper and other fittings. I mention this as looking at a later car (like mine) would be misleading.

BTW -- Did you use any washers under the LTD studs? Some (well, me anyway) use a plastic washer under those to protect the paint work. I got some at Ace but IIRC some of the vendors offer them too.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi George. I think TRF has a good explanation of the tops in one of their catalogs, I'll have to find it. I make my own washers out of old blister pack. I got some cheap hole punches from HF and use them to make a punch out the size of the stud, then punch a smaller hole in the middle.

croz

Country flag
One tip on those LTD threaded posts - use a washer and a nylock nut. They can be a real pain to get at if they become loose.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The small stuff can be the most time consuming and frustrating when doing a restoration. I just discovered this while installing the lift the dot studs to the back of the car. My car is a 1956 that was delivered with a hard top, no convertible top. I believe there should be one more stud on the side for the hood stick cover. I've also seen pictures that show two studs in that area. After looking I can see no indication that a hole was ever drilled in the body for the stud. I don't have an original convertible top or hood stick cover to see if it should be there. I do have a tonneau cover for the car and it does not have a fastener for the missing stud. Now I have to get a hood stick cover to find out where to drill the hole.
Keith, you restoration is nothing short of beautiful. Post more pics please. Love that color.
Pat

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I agree Pat, both of you are awesome and I love to see the pictures it inspires me and I get to check out how "experts" do their handy work. Thank you!

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks Pat and Dorn on the comments. I just got back from a much needed break in the Mountains. Left today at 11:00 am 65 degrees and got home two hours later 110 degrees. I think I need to go back. Looks like I have to order a convertible top to be able to get an idea of where the stud should go. It's not looking good for Triumphest 2013.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Looks like I have to order a convertible top to be able to get an idea of where the stud should go...

Like the tonneau, that will only be an approximate guide as the tops come w/o the hardware installed.

Have you been unable to get good measurements & photos from someone (or a couple of someones) who believe their TR3 is correct?

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
In addition to the hood stick cover, the missing peg is also for the soft top snap nearest to the side curtain. Same peg is also used for the early tonneau (without the tuck at the dogleg). Beware buying a pre-fitted soft top or tonneau as each item was individually fitted to its matching car by the factory. Peg spacings can and do vary.

Two extra pegs for the hood stick cover go inside the cabin towards the rear of each of the two short cockpit cappings. Sometimes the holes are there in the cappings beneath the vynil covering.

If the hood stick cover fits the existing pegs, then the foremost peg could be reasonably plotted from the cover snap. Otherwise a template might be needed from a similar TS number car. I find drilling through masking tape can avoid chipping new duco.

Good luck with this unexpected challenge.

Viv

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I looked at 2 cars yesterday I found the measurements to be off by 1/2". One car had 2 holes in the area that mine has none. I'm going to wait until I get a convertible top for the car and fit it that way. Thanks all for the replies.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keith, what is the color combination you are using for your exterior/interior you are using and where did you get your interior. Thanks and have a good day!

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The paint is Winchester blue, the shade is a bit off from the camera. I purchased the leather, and vinyl from a local shop in Phoenix and shipped it to Learns Upholstery in Indiana PA. He then made the kit for me. I did not like any of the colors available from all the big vendors including the UK. Let me know if you want more information. I know Phoenix trim has the hides and vinyl in stock.