• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Have I asked this before?

Country flag
I can't remember if I asked this before. I'm going to install an antenna on my midget for the stereo (this is a job I've started many times). However, I'm very indecisive about type and location. Originally, the antenna was in the front cowl on the passenger side. I don't want it there. I've thought about the front fender, but I'm currently thinking that I want it on the back deck.

Also, I want an antenna that collapses flush...or better yet an electric one.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,
Trevor

If you want a collapsible one you need to have room below the mounting point. My Midget had a hole in the right front fender for an antenna when I bought it. I tried putting a collapsible antenna in that I had lying around and found that it was hitting the glove box; I had to use a different one. You may find one with a shorter collapsed length, but just be careful before drilling holes.

Clearance is one of the reasons I'm considering the reardeck. I can get enough space there, but it either puts the antenna at an odd angle or interfers with the raising of the boot lid.

Maybe I could get enough clearance with an electric so that the boot lid clearance will be less of an issue. (Just don't open the book with the radio on) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Get sattelite radio. The antennae is a small disk and it doesn't totally stink like commercial radio.

Good idea Morris, except it isn't free and it would mean more hardware to remove from my car lest it be stolen.

My buddy has one that has a small, iPod style reciever that he carries with him every where he goes. Looks kinda funky on the dash, though.

Watch were you put the antenna on the rear deck. I did this once and it looked great, then I went to open the boot lid.
OOPS!
I now run an interior concealed antennae inside my speaker box on the rear parcel area.
I made a wood panel that fits over those 2 curved frame rails, installed 2 5" speakers in it, burried the antennae inthere, carpeted it and it actually finishes that rear shelf quite nice.
https://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/speakers.jpg

Looks nice Frank,
How's the reception? I was thinking an electric antenna on the deck, so that I'd be less likely to raise the boot lid into it.

The reception is as good as any external antenna.
Same radio/tape but in a different car. Old Sprite had an external, this Sprite has the internal. All is the same.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
soren_ak Know that ive asked this before but...... Austin Healey 8
H TR4/4A Advise asked for front repair Triumph 1
H TR4/4A Advise asked on TR 4 a frame collision/issue Triumph 20
Got_All_4 General TR Someone asked where to get DOT5 silicon brake fluid a while back Triumph 4
H Advice asked for restoration two seater hardtops Austin Healey 7
H Adviced asked on unscrewing lid brake fluid reservoir Austin Healey 9
H Tow advice asked Austin Healey 10
60TR3A What's The Weirdest Thing Anyone Ever Said or Asked You About Your Car? Austin Healey 28
H Advice asked not starting after 2 years Austin Healey 6
jlaird Someone asked, rockers. Spridgets 6
tony barnhill Somebody Asked About Primers Spridgets 10
jlaird For those that asked Spridgets 1
jlaird Someone asked, thought you all might be intrested. Spridgets 3
KVH Someone Asked: When is a Triumph a Triumph? Triumph 2
jlaird Someone asked awile back Spridgets 6
jlaird New pics. Tony, granddaughter as well as you asked Spridgets 8
jlaird Someone asked Spridgets 0
giwplay1 Everything you need to know before purchasing an Austin Healey Austin Healey 15
W Wanted Servo for BN4 has to be original 1957 or before any condition considered. Austin Healey Classifieds 11
DrEntropy Before they were Vintage Racing 0
JPSmit Ford Taunus - never seen on in the flash before Spotted 4
B Before and After Pics Longbridge 100-6 Austin Healey 5
D General TR Fuel filter before the pump. Triumph 2
JPSmit Hagerty Prediction - Cars to buy now [before they get expensive] Spridgets 1
S BJ-8 SU Fuel Pump Clicks Much Faster Than Before Austin Healey 9
TomMull Why didn't somebody tell me about this before Restoration & Tools 5
P T-Series MGTD - before and after MG 3
D TR2/3/3A Excessive cranking before it starts. Triumph 47
D Prepping Floors Before Installing Interior Restoration & Tools 6
Csarneson Anybody seen this Front Shock Conversion Kit before? Austin Healey 6
J Wedge TR8 research before purchase Triumph 16
H Machined Engine Block - Cleaning before assembly and paint. Not sure what to do? Spridgets 5
simon1966 Before and After Austin Healey 2
D TR2/3/3A engine :"stuck" even before it starts! Triumph 28
C Static timing before engine start up Spridgets 4
J TR4/4A Fuel Pump just checking before I snap off the lever. Triumph 11
E Wanted Wanted: TR6 cylinder head- '72 or before Triumph Classifieds 4
Popeye Engine starving for fuel before tank is empty - 2001 Audi TT Other Cars 5
Jim_Gruber Question on 948 Head Torque Specs - Before I break something please Spridgets 3
T TR2/3/3A Before and after lever shock absorber pictures Triumph 12
R Last minute check before engine install Austin Healey 26
T TR4/4A How to determine if the crank is good before pulling the engine out Triumph 8
C Quick question before I begin my first transmission fluid change on my 1959 100-6 Austin Healey 9
PeterK TR4/4A Never seen a dual exhaust cobbed this bad before. Triumph 2
jlaird Before I put in classifieds Spridgets 36
RickB Questions before seeing insurance appraiser Spridgets 12
TRMark TR4/4A Leaking Drain Tap before I could even get the radiator full Triumph 1
B Spitfire before i swap this od transmission into my mk3 what would you do? Triumph 11
DNK Never Seen One of These Before Other British Cars 3
hilsideser Never seen one of these before... Spotted 5