• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Griffin Aluminum Radiators

PATR8

Jedi Knight
After I got back from Iraq and warm weather had broken I started to play with my TR8 again. It ad come down with several cases of bubbling paint, a power steering leak, and a case of running hot. It ever over heated but the guage was running about 3/4 instead of 1/2. I checked the guage adn it was fine ad even the temp sensor. I Knew when I had rebuilt the engine with higher compression pistons and a more radical cam that it would run hot. That combined with the 95+ degree heat we have had for an exended period made me realize a new radiator would probably solve the heating. I ordered an aluminum one from Woody (Wedgeshop). It was pricey but I am getting ready to install it Thursday. The question I have is should I flush the block before I install the new radiator and what type of coolant should I use. Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome back.

I think flushing the block would be sound advice. The water passages in the block scale & a reverse flush would avoid any of that from affecting a new , expensive radiator.

Any good quality antifreeze that is aluminum friendly will work. I would also get some "water wetter" https://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
It's no miracle cure but it seems to help.

Well the radiator is installed, looks great and I took my 8 out for a cruise today in 90% humidity and 95 degrees and it ran 1/3 less on the temp guage. I have not had a chance to take it for a long ride (tomorrow). I topped off the gear box (ATF) and the rear axle. was a good day in the garage.

Did you purchase the radiator directly from Griffin or through one of the wedge suppliers?

I bought it theu the Wedge Shop (Woody). I had not known of griffin until it arrived on my door step

Nope.....Got one in my Pinto though..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

They are pricey but I am quickly becoming a beleiver in them. They really seem to have made a big difference on my cooling. My kids and I are starting a project this winter (A TR7 for road racing) and I will make sure I have one it too.

Griffin's main shop is not far from me. They do great work. They also have copper and brass radiators that aren't as expensive. The aluminum radiators cannot be rebuilt. The copper and brass can. A friend of mine has an Alpine that has always run hot. He called Griffin and told them what he needed and questioned whether they could build something that would cool his car. They told him if they can cool an 700HP NASCAR racer, they could cool an Alpine.

I apparently did not do my research as well as I should have about the copper and Brass ones. Woody Cooper has been a good guide to my 8 and recommended it so I went with it. I wonder why Aluminum can not be repaired? I wonder if copper and brass would be cheaper with the prices they are commanding now. It was a perfect match to my old radiator making the swap easy

You have a Pinto? I saw two racing in the vintage races as part of the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix and now have see a "classic" red one restored near me. Who would have Thunk?

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why Aluminum can not be repaired?

[/ QUOTE ]
They are Very easy to repair....
They can not however be rebuilt.....(i.e. Disassembled)
I have a few patches on mine & it works as well as new.
(It just looks like a mess)

[ QUOTE ]
You have a Pinto? Who would have Thunk?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not Me.....
I had no idea that they made such great race cars......
How many cars can you confidently drift on R compound tyres?.....
The Pinto is forgiving but not that fast.
(in comparison to other ITB cars)

Did you bring a Red Pinto to the PVGP? I was looking at a Pinto who was racing against the Porsches I think. In fact I was pretty sure there were two Pintos there. They were the reasons I am so convinced a TR7 would do well

Not me.....I have a 79 and the cut off date for VRG is Dec. 72 (Pintos were made from 71-80)

I would decide on front or RWD & recommend something inexpensive.
(you drive harder when you have nothing to loose) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It really doesn't matter what car you pick.

It's all about seat time.
(Notice I didn't say ability)

BTW......I've seen more yelling/crying & chasing each other around the pits w/ torque wrenches in vintage, than I have in the SCCA.

I think it is important to race a car that you don't particularly care about.

[ QUOTE ]
I apparently did not do my research as well as I should have about the copper and Brass ones. Woody Cooper has been a good guide to my 8 and recommended it so I went with it. I wonder why Aluminum can not be repaired? I wonder if copper and brass would be cheaper with the prices they are commanding now. It was a perfect match to my old radiator making the swap easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about the price of copper! They probably aren't much cheaper now if any. The aluminum one is considered not repairable (as when it has been hit or bent) is because its welded togther. I assume the copper and brass are crimped. I guess too much labor to repair an aluminum one. Like staked u joint drive shafts on Nissan trucks.

Buddy Griffin addressed a meeting of auto restoration enthusiasts held at BMW several years ago. He siad in reality, the aluminum radiator does not cool as well as a copper one of the same size. They usually use a thicker core or more rows. They can pretty much make anything in aluminum, if you send the original. Might be a good source for TR3 radiators.

That is the reason I would pick a TR7, light weight, plentiful, and Cheap replacements, and the fact I like the car. I will keep the sentimental feelings for my TR8. I am glad it is nto about ability, I have never done well in the Autocrossing. I have had a friend who is an accomplished Auto crosser turn in fantastic Autocross times in my 8.

While Auto-Xing sometimes makes me nervous, road-racing is often absolutely terrifying....

Ever have someone in your lane & at the last moment they swerve back?

Now imagine having that feeling over & over again...........Sound like fun?

Later it gets a little better.........But to start with, that's kinda what it feels like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I have had very limited road racing experience when I was still at Ft Benning but that was ages ago. I have, at north park, had a Corvette get lost on the auto cross and reverse course head on toward my TR8 on a long straight away, that made for a high pucker factor. I surely have met you if you have raced at NHSCC for any period of time. Before my sandbox trip, I raced fairly often even at the SCCA events at beaverun