• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Datsun 210 Tran/Ebay

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They've gone for stupid money on eBay, but they are available elsewhere for much less. Check your local wrecking yards or one of the national parts finders. Good luck!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You might try https://www.car-part.com - I couldn't find any in Canada but there are some reasonably close in the USA.

have you called Doms in Oshawa - they always seem to have a huge yard.

I know I've mentioned this before but I wonder about a Hyundai Pony 5 speed. (which may be rarer I know) The 1500 Midget tranny is an adapted Marina tranny. The Pony was developed from the Marina - which makes me think it could be a decent swap. I know the Pony was c**p but the tranny was OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Pony#Canadian-spec_Pony

https://pages.eidosnet.co.uk/~morrismarina/Korean%20Connection.htm

I did try to locate one in Cambridge but theirs were gone. I then decided to stick with a 4 speed as I have to get the car done and in my world, every "good idea" is another $1000 and six months.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
One sold on eBay last month for $1,015 + shipping and 2 others sold for $700 or more. I've been watching them on eBay for months now and folks do seem to be willing to pay that much and more. I've only seen one go for less than $400 other than a couple of broken ones and 30 or so for more. I checked all the local sources last spring as well as every place I could find on the net before finally getting one from eBay for $425. I thought that was too much until seeing the recent bidding.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Datsun 4-speeds are cheap and plentyful. I've seen a couple of complete and running Datsun 210 5-speeds recently on Craigslist. If I needed a 5-speed I would buy the complete car, swap the 5 for the 4-speed and sell the car. Cheap way to get a 5-speed and only takes about one day to swap.
Bill

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the replies, I have called several wreckers in my area which is close to JP, only 25 mins from Cambridge. When I asked for the 210 trans they look at me like I have 3 heads. By the time you purchase a Rivergate kit etc, it will be two grand, maybe I will just keep my ribbed 4 speed for now.Jp I will try Doms Monday, thanks again for your help. I have my big motor half built, it will not be happy with the 4 speed.
Thanks Phil

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Keep checking car-part.com. I bought one from that site four months ago for $195 which included the shipping.
Charlie

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
I will do that my 1363 eng is going to need that trans.
Phil

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
First: The stock, ribcage four speed in a Sprite is a nice little trans. If you need good cruising for a street car, the final drive from a newer car can give you 3.9 or even 3.7 (as opposed to 4.22). For a street car, that would be a simple and effective path to follow.

But yes, the ~Frontline~ kit that JP refers is available for "A" series and 1500 Spridgets. The Ford Type 9 is an OK trans...not super great. They come in the US import "Merkur".

Honestly, I think there's an opportunity for someone here:
There are tons of Miata transmissions available and they are skinny enough to fit in a Spridget trans tunnel. They are a better trans that the Ford 9 or the Datsun and can be found for $200 easily.
The Miata trans does not have a removable bellhousing and the flywheel is small diameter. This swap would probably require a Miata flywheel modded to fit the Spridget crank plus a redrilled end plate on the Spridget engine (to accept the Miata pattern). Figuring out the starter might be a tricky job.
Still, I think it's an opportunity....

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Then again, if you're putting a Miata trans in your car anyway, why not include that lovely little twin-cam engine that it's *supposed* to fit....<runs and ducks> /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif </span>

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Two cams, time to start thinking about a second sprite. Just need to tell my wife the addition on the garage is for her garden equipment.
Phil

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
MCS said:
...By the time you purchase a Rivergate kit etc, it will be two grand...

If you are doing a Rivergate/Datsun conversion here's what you should expect in costs:

conversion kit Rivergate Restoration Products 31104-6 $659
overhaul transmission Rivergate Restoration Products $548
clutch slave cylinder Rivergate Restoration Products 30447 $99
speedometer adapter kit Rivergate Restoration Products 30040 $135
gear reduction starter Rivergate Restoration Products 40001 $199
Datsun 5 speed transmission Ebay $450
clutch pressure plate Moss 190-850 $110

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I was considering doing the conversion at one point, even had a Datsun transmission on hand ($350). I added up the costs and figured it would be close to $1500 - $2000 for the conversion. After chatting with folks here and thinking it over, I decided to sell the Datsun tranny and keep the ribcase and 3.90 rear end.

I took the money saved and did more with my engine build. Seemed a good compromise for me at the time. I won't be doing very many super long drives anyways, so the extra noise from higher RPM cruising won't be much of a bother.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
I may do the same, first gear does seem a little short and noisy, must try really heavy oil in the spring.
Phil

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
If your trans is noisey, I'd suggest sythetic oil (which is not actually "heavy").
This worked wonders in my racecar (although I don't have the same type trans as your "ribcage" unit).
Much smoother-shifting and quieter.

I'd suggest ~Red Line 10W-30~. Be sure to use *motor oil* in that trans...not gear oil.

There has been some discussions on various internet forums about sythetic oil that claim it's bad for manual transmissions.
But I have only good experiences with it and the Red Line website disputes many of these claims.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
aeronca65t said:
Honestly, I think there's an opportunity for someone here:
There are tons of Miata transmissions available and they are skinny enough to fit in a Spridget trans tunnel. They are a better trans that the Ford 9 or the Datsun and can be found for $200 easily.
The Miata trans does not have a removable bellhousing and the flywheel is small diameter. This swap would probably require a Miata flywheel modded to fit the Spridget crank plus a redrilled end plate on the Spridget engine (to accept the Miata pattern). Figuring out the starter might be a tricky job.
Still, I think it's an opportunity....

I have been thinking this exactly. When I have a little time off from homework and craziness at work, I want to look into this. I, too, am getting very discouraged at the Datsun deals out there. I would like to see if a Miata trans would be doable by a shade-tree mechanic.

I'd have to check the ratios to see if it's worth it (and I am sure they cost a lot more), but didn't some Miatas come with a 6 speed? How cool would that be!

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
ok.....then why not the Miata motor and trans (if it fits)

Beaulieu

Morris

Yoda
Nial,

The Miata transmission looks looooong. Is it much longer than an A-series tran?

Also, the starter is on the wrong side for a 1500... drat!