• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chrome plating

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
My local shop has given me a "ballpark" quote of $800 to plate my bumpers on mt MGB. The have a good reputation and will do a Cu/Ni/Chrome plate. This seems kinda pricy to me, but would appreciate some opinions.
I'd pefer to replate my existing bumpers and not buy new/after market stuff.
Also any suggestions for shops in the Eastern US would be appreciated.

heliguy

Jedi Hopeful
Sounds about right, I know that even getting any chrome work done these days in Canada is VERY expensive. Last thing i had done, about 5 years ago was an MGA grill, and that way around 600 bucks........

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Librandi's in Middletown is the only one I know of - this may be the one that gave you the quote. I think they have a pretty good reputation.

No connection to me - I used to live in PA and have a buddy in Bainbridge, PA.

https://www.carchrome.com/

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Yep, it was Librandi's. They do good quality work. Appreciate the feedback. I'll post some before/after pics for the group. They said about 10 weeks for the job.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hanlon in Richmond,Virginia did a show room job on a rusted out bumper on the Roadster and was very reasonable.

hanlonplating.com

Wayne

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Don't know where in PA you are located, but might try Paul's Chrome. I have heard, uh, interesting things about Librandis.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Checked out the Hanlon web site and they look good. I'll call them tomorrow, thanks.
Scott, I'm 15 minutes from Librandi's, I've also heard the same interesting things. That's why I'm still fishing for a "bright" idea........lol. I'll check out Paul's.

Bob60

Chrome plating is a process that employs some very nasty chemicals, thus requiring costly disposal, etc. Therefore it has become an expensive undertaking - so it won't be cheap wherever you get it done.

I had the bumpers for my Jensen Interceptor chromed about 6-7 years ago and it was close to $900. (bear in mind that Jensen Interceptor bumpers are large). I got several quotes and decided on Paul's Chrome in PA. I could choose "street" or "show" quality. I went with "street" quality, and when I got them back, I honestly can't imagine how they could have been any better - they were spectacular! 6 or 7 years later they still look perfect.

They were good people to deal with - prompt, superb quality and charged me exactly what they quoted.

Bob
'70 MGB GT
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'64 E-Type coupe
'69 Land Rover

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Called Nanlon today and they knew a 70 MGB was a split bumper. Helped my confidence in them. He quoted me over the phone and was very competitive with a quick lead time. Also called Paul's and his ballpak was in line with my local shop. At this point I'm planning to go with Hanlon.
I'll post how this works out!!

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the feedback. I've got the bumpers off my roadster & GT. The roadster proved to be more work then anticipated as the thru bolts on the bumper would only spin and took some effort to get them off the mounting brackets.
I plan to make a road trip to Hanlon on Friday to deliver the parts and see his operation. His quotes were very reasonable and has good reviews on several car forums. Also quoted a 2 week turnaround, excellent.

D

DougF

Paul's has an excellent reputation. They produce a beautiful quality product. Though I live within 10 minutes of the business, I have no connections with them.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Received my bumpers back yesterday from Hanlon Plating in Richmond, VA. Dropped them off on Jan 27 and just over 2 weeks later, they were returned. They look great. Hanlon's price was $350 for both the front and rear split bumper on my 70 B. For comparison, my local shop wanted $800 for the job and quoted 10 to 12 weeks. A shop in western PA quoted the same. I had both of my B's plated for less then the cost of 1 from the othet guys. Hanlon is a cash business and wants 50% up front and the balance prior to shipping. I did not plate the overriders and it was cheaper to buy new. Hanlon quoted $40 per overrider. I would definately recommend Hanlon, great people to work with.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ralph always good to know someone is happy with your suggestion, thanks for the update and a few picture on the car would be great.

Regards, Wayne

Lynn Kirkpatrick

Jedi Hopeful
Be wary of the new over riders. I bought one 6-8 years ago to replace a pitting original. Within 2 years it looked worse than the original. Fortunately I had saved the original, so I had it plated for about $90. It still looks good.
Good luck.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll keep the old ones in my goody box just in case.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
You can blame the EPA for the high chroming prices. Prices has quadrupled since they got involved, which really isn't a bad thing. Cost of disposing chemicals is very expensive. Fines for ignoring them is even more expensive! Also being put out of business. One of my sons has a radiator and air conditioning business and is confronted with the same rules. He no longer has a cooking tank. PJ

Lynn Kirkpatrick

Jedi Hopeful
I think we have kind of made our own situation and now we have to deal with it. If we didn't have the regs who knows what crap would be getting dumped in the water. I sympathize the people in the 3rd world countries now knowing what heavy metals or acids are in the water they're using. I remember people 50 years ago talking about the good ol' days. I'm not sure they were all that good.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Lynn I agree. I worked for many years on rivers and ocean fronts building docks for ships and ocean jetties for water control. The rivers we worked on back in the 60s and early 70s were polluted with everything imaginable, you name it and it was in the water. I have personally seen how the cleanliness of our waterways have improved immensely since the EPA got more involved and imposed very stiff fines and sometimes jail time on those who disregarded the rules. The good old days were good, because we were kids! PJ