• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chrome Plating Costs

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I've seen several threads about the cost of Chrome plating and while I don't want to beat on a dead horse, I just got the first of my rechromed parts back and wanted to report on it.
I used a custom chrome plater in Knoxville. He gave me a quote up front and quoted 8 to 9 weeks. He called on Thursday 12/27 to let me know that I could pick up the pieces on the next day. Three weeks earlier than his extimate. Went over to pick them up the day after he called. I had brought him my bumper, valve cover, head light rims, gear shift lever and the release button for my emergency brake that a previous plater had done a terrible job on. All of the parts were impeccable with the exception of the shift lever. they put a sleeve on the threaded part and the sleeve slipped down and left a ridge, so it is being done. I will include some pictures.
Costs were as follows:

Valve Cover $150.00
Bumper $300.00
Light Rims $120.00
Gear Shift Lever $30.00
Release Button no charge

Some of the parts had minor dings in them all were taken out. Needless to say I am very happy with their work.

Cheers, Tinkerman

Attachments

• 9237.jpg
    9237.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 303
  • 9238.jpg
    9238.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 278

fad64b

That is half the price I was quoted for a valve cover...
fantastic!!!

MichaelG

Your not beating a dead horse at all. Many are on the lookout for good pricing on 1st class re chroming services, including me /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Please do list vendor information for your source.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
First comes the teaser. Then you have to become
a member by providing your email; age; gender;
address; phone number; agree to receive all email
and other newsletter (marketing) types; provide
a credit card (just for ID purposes) and pay a $5
processing fee (becoming a member is free),
then comes the information you seek.

PS: Don't be too surprsied to find there's a
"download" fee, once you're given a web link.

Beyond all that, this information is free just for
the asking.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
The company I used is :

Knox Custom Chrome
2216 Mohawk Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37915

865-549-3144 Toll Free 888-588-4552

Jim is the guy in the office and Gary runs the shop.

Mickey I hope this didn't break any rules.

2Wrench you need to get more sleep! Your getting snarley!

They do have a web site, Google it as "Knox Custon Chrome" and you will find it.

Cheers, Tinkerman

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I am amazed at what appears to be wide variation in prices charged for plating. I realize that the price of nickel and other materials drives the change over time but apart from that there seems to be considerable disparity in prices.

Chrome seems to be fairly affordable here (AZ) but I don't know how someone elsewhere could easily take advantage of that.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
I am amazed at what appears to be wide variation in prices charged for plating.
It's a very labor-intensive process (if done right). That's not to say the chemicals are cheap, but I think labor (and local environmental regulations) is the cause of most of the variation. It's dangerous too, so I wouldn't be surprised if insurance costs don't factor in as well.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Chrome plating in New England has risen about 20% per year for the last three years and will continue to do so here and around the country for the following reasons:

1. Nickel and copper. Yes, a "real chrome" plating job (triple plate)requires a lot of copper and it ain't cheap.

2. Environmental costs for disposal of hazardous acids used in the stripper baths.

3. Shops closing due to employees retiring and the constant barrage of regulations and #'s 1 & 2 above.

4. Lack of craftsmen able to do those repairs needed to make a job look perfect. Note the comment about the removal of the dents above.

5. Lack of labor pool. Ever go inside a chrome plating shop? I'll bet that no one here would pick any one as a place to work next week. The hardest job, after the sand blasting, welding repairs and acid dipping, (once you get past the smell), is that of a buffer. Ever try to hold a 1968 Buick bumper against a polishing wheel for three hours only to have to do it again after the copper is on it? Not a very glamorous job either unless you like having arms like Popeye.

6. Family business closings. Most of these shops are family owned and for all reasons above, especially #5, no second or third generation will take them on. Less shops, less competition, higher prices. Not that either needed to be a reason with everything else mentioned.

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
Brosky didn't mention that even if you can find help in a chrome shop, it requires a level of finesse similar to a show-quality body man. You have to understand how the metal will change shape throughout the process and prevent parts from stretching and warping durin gall the heat cycles. Its not uncommon to find that an "ok" chrome job will change the shape of the parts slightly, causing grilles and \bumpers to not fit well anymore.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tinkerman said:
The company I used is :

Knox Custom Chrome
2216 Mohawk Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37915

865-549-3144 Toll Free 888-588-4552

Jim is the guy in the office and Gary runs the shop.

Mickey I hope this didn't break any rules.

2Wrench you need to get more sleep! Your getting snarley!

They do have a web site, Google it as "Knox Custon Chrome" and you will find it.

Cheers, Tinkerman

Yeah, Tinker. Guess you're right. I think I'm just
frusterated having the engine out, torn apart and all.
Shouldn't be crying. A lot of guys are in the same
position. I just don't get excited so about the
wrenching part. I wannna drive; but, all in time.
All good things come with time. Actually, you just
can't take me too seriously, unless I'm asking something
you can't believe I'd be asking ona counta ya think
I outta know.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Yep, 2wrench, I know zactly how you feel. I wanna drive! Maybe this year. Thats my plan anyhow.

Regards, Tinkerman

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
...Yes, a "real chrome" plating job (triple plate)requires a lot of copper and it ain't cheap...

Maybe we get a break because every backyard has a copper mine in it (well lots of big pits in Southern AZ).

Brosky said:
...Lack of craftsmen able to do those repairs needed to make a job look perfect...

Seriously, it may cost less here because of the availability of skilled labor and workers who are willing to do what sounds like a tough job. Not wanting to make this a political discussion but there is a segment of the population here in the Southwest that seems particularly adept at jobs that are not just hard work but also require skill, patience and attention to detail (chrome, auto paint, stucco, masonry, etc.).

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
"All of the parts were impeccable with the exception of the shift lever. they put a sleeve on the threaded part and the sleeve slipped down and left a ridge, so it is being redone."

Final comment. Jim the owner said that he would replate the gear shift lever on Wednesday and send it on to me. True to his word I recieved the gear shift lever yesterday, looks real good.

Cheers, Tinkerman