• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Champion spark plug testor

Country flag
I purchased a "brand new in the box" old Champion spark plug tester (for twenty dollars). It connects to any one of the plugs, the coil, and the pos and neg battery terminals. It has a scope, like an oscilloscope, on one end that has bars that represent each plug when the engine is started. It is suppose to show the integrity of the plugs. It has the Champion logo on a black Bakelite case. I bought it cause I have a small garage collection. But it is very cool. I cannot find anything about it and no one I know has ever see one of these. Has anyone on this forum ever heard of it?
TH

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Never saw one of those but an old mechanic buddy once explained how to build your own really cheap Champion sparkplug tester. "Take a 2 gallon bucket and fill it at least half full of water. Carefully place the plugs in the water and any that float are likely good. discard the rest." :banana:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh, I always thought it was what my dad taught me - attach the plug to the wire, hold the plug in your bare hand and crank over the engine. I've been doing it this way for years and it hasn't affected me at all. I've been doing it this way for years and it hasn't affected me at all.
:crazyeyes:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Wow. I could have saved 20 bucks. Aren't you suppose to wet your fingers first?

and stand in a puddle

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
JPSmit said:
tahoe healey said:

and stand in a puddle

but not of your own making

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
JPSmit said:
tahoe healey said:

and stand in a puddle

but not of your own making
:cryin: :lol:

we've sure hijacked this thread. (sorry) So, coming back to it, it fascinates me that there would be a tester for a very inexpensive part. But, makes diagnostic sense I suppose

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Actually, I know I've thrown out many good plugs for not having a way to test them accurately. And with their prices climbing, it makes sense to save any we can!

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
do you get a scope pattern reading the secondary ignition voltage, or just a bar graph representing the plug condition?

I've never heard of your specific champion tool, but I'm sure a manual will pop up on ebay eventually. Otherwise, there are several books about reading ignition scope patterns (if that's what you have)

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Just a bar graph. It came with a manual which is extremely vague (in four languages). There is a line which the graph bars must be below. I've been busy and will play with it in a few days. I may try to post a picture.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kewl! have you tried it yet?

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Yes, it actually works only I have difficulty interpreting the results. I tend to over analyze things. Does it tell me which plug is bad? Do I read form left to right or right to left? The are all the same height when I try it. If they weren't, I could say, "ah-ha, that one is no good and its the second from the front".
Just a neat collectible. Has any one ever seen or heard of this thing before?
TH

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
seems like all the same height is exactly what you want - likely doesn't matter what direction you go as it cares about spikes and valleys.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
My guess is that it has to follow the firing order, most likely left to right.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
I wasn't sure if it would follow the firing order or the geographic location on the engine. I could fowl an old plug and watch the results.
I am surprised no one has seen one of these before. They had to have made a lot of them.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
don't think it is firing order or location since, if I understand it correctly you are testing one plug at a time. So, what you should be seeing is repeated firings of the same plug. Thus, to my mind, what you are looking for is a consistent pattern of firing. If the plug is below the red line and shows a regular "pulse" (each individual vertical line) it is good. If it is spiking (too much spark?) or low (too little spark) it needs replacing.

A good place to test it might actually be a one cylinder lawn lower.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
It checks all plugs at one time from the way I understand it. I could be wrong. That is why I asked these questions. The instructions are sketchy.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Looking at the pic of the tester, it appears to have two pick-ups for the ignition. Most likely one for the coil wire, and the other for plug number one. That was the set-up that I remember from years ago when I swung wrenches and used an engine scope/analyzer. It showed all of the separate scope patterns for each cylinder.