• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An option for a radio in a positive-ground car

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The subject of positive ground vs. negative ground arises here often. My recommendation usually is to do the conversion to negative ground, but often the interest is in preserving originality, so the positive-ground configuration stays. A real problem, however, is finding a radio for a positive-ground car, and once found, what to do if the owner eventually converts the car to negative ground.

Recently I came across an interesting option for this. A friend asked me to look at the radio from his late-50s Mercedes, which turned out to be a Blaupunkt Frankfurt TR, US version, model no. 3780, from about 1961. I was quite surprised to see that it can be configured for either positive or negative ground, and can be set up for either 6V or 12V electrical systems as well. The instructions for conversion are on a card in the power module. The positive-negative ground conversion is just a few jumpers in one place, but the conversion between 6 and 12V is a bit more complicated. Of course, the 6-12V conversion is not of great interest to us (unless the unit you get is already set up for 6V!) since all our cars are 12V.

Below is a scan of the card I found in the power module, and a couple pictures of the radio. Fortunately, this one was in remarkably good condition, so I got it working easily. The separate module is the power module, which uses a transistor circuit to generate the high voltage (about 115VDC) for the tubes in the main part of the radio. It also has a two-transistor audio amplifier that drives the speaker. The power module fits on the back of the main unit and can be arranged so it hangs down or sticks out straight in the back, depending on how much room you have--which, of course, in Spridgets is not much!

Anyway, it seems to me that this is a neat option for someone with an early-60s car, who wants to keep the car original, wants a period-correct radio for an early car, and wants to keep the positive-negative conversion option available. Back in the 60s, most radios were installed by the dealer, so there really is no "right" radio for these cars.

I suspect that there are other models of tube radios that have the same feature. Certainly, it's practical to do. Later, all-transistor radios aren't really amenable to this, and since virtually all cars were negative-ground when all-transistor radios became available, I doubt that you can find fully transistor radios that can be used in either positive- or negative-ground configuration.

Attachments

• 15400.jpg
    15400.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 210

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">WOW! That thing is HUGE!</span> </span> ("That's what SHE said...") :devilgrin:

You'd need to put stiffer springs in the car just to handle the extra weight! (just kidding!!)

Interesting to see how manufacturers handled the differences between 6V/12V & Pos/Neg cars...

Do they have a RHD vs LHD adaptor for this thing too??

-Bear- :cheers:

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Thinking aloud here. I am not an electrical guy, but....

Couldn't you wire it up with a relay to convert the trigger from "+" to "-"?

You'd have three "power" wires - constant, ignition/accessory, and ground.

Constant - wire directly to "+" terminal (obviously use a fuse!)
Ground - wire directly to the "-" terminal
Ignition/Accessory - couldn't you hook a relay to the "-" ignition source and have it switch on a "+" feed directly from the battery (via a fuse?)

It sounds messy, but I don't think it'd be that bad...you'd have two feeds coming off the battery. Positive feed is fused. On the positive feed, in the radio console or dash, you'd tap into that for your ignition/accessory wire feed to the relay. Relay can also be tapped into the "-" battery feed behind the dash or in the console.

I had to do this on my remote starter installation for my Jeep as some of the feeds from the RS brain were "+", where the Jeep called for a "-" feed.

nomad

Yoda
If you want AM I have several. Shame there is'nt anything worth listening to on AM anymore. Putting a negative gr rad in a plastic box and isolating it from the rest of the car is'nt to tricky. BTW my pos gr rad's have switches to change them to neg gr.
KA

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Only thing to watch for when putting in and "opposite ground" radio is to be sure to either isolate the radio antenna or do as I did and strip the coax shield on the antenna wire and seperate the radio end from the auto end by a little bit (I did about 1/4") so that you don't short everything out.
Bill

nomad

Yoda
Good point Bill. I've never done an opposite ground installation- just seen it done. Have to make sure NOTHING can short it out.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I had the "isolated" radio all last summer, didn't do anything about the antennae, oops. I have it crammed under the rear deck. Only problem I had is a few times I dropped my ipod and it shorted on the e brake handle, just a little crackling.