• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

58 sprite turn signal Problem

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Let me see if I get this correct. Power to the switch on dash is supplied via ignition switch when key is turned to on.
Problem is I have no power to the turn switch. I removed switch and tested it. only side has 12 volts. The other side has about 1 volt. The ignition switch is about 2 years old. Could a bad turn switch cause the ignition switch to go bad?
thanks
sim
Up date. I do have voltage from ignition switch to one lead of toggle switch. Problem is it is only 6 v
I guess I should check chassis ground points/

Do you have a wiring diagram? The key supplies power to the green wire which comes off the 2nd fuse in the engine compartment. That wire is then connected to the flasher unit. The green/brown lead from the flasher unit goes to the middle terminal of the dash switch. Check the grounds on the flasher unit, and also the connections to the flasher blinker light. Do the other items which run off the green wire work....like the heater and the windshield wipers?
Cheers,
Scott in CA

Do you have a wiring diagram? The key supplies power to the green wire which comes off the 2nd fuse in the engine compartment. That wire is then connected to the flasher unit. The green/brown lead from the flasher unit goes to the middle terminal of the dash switch. Check the grounds on the flasher unit, and also the connections to the flasher blinker light. Do the other items which run off the green wire work....like the heater and the windshield wipers?
Cheers,
Scott in CA
Thanks I do have a wire diagram. problem is all the wires are the same color Brown due to age. Will I have not turned on the wiper switch in the last 15 years or so. Gave it a try and they worked. I take it if the wipers worked, then I have power coming out of the ignition switch on the leg that feeds the toggle switch. is this correct?
I will check and clean ground on flasher unit which is less than 3 years old . Whoever car was painted and this may have caused a poor ground.

A little acetone will clean up those old wires. You really need to have a color code.

Kurt.

have a new turn switch. has power to it from ignition switch. Still no blink.
how do I test the flasher unit? Is the green wire the power wire? How is this unit tested to see if it is good or bad? It is not that old 6 years about.
I can turn the light switch and get parking lights and then head lights to work.
Thanks sim

The thing that makes a flasher work is a bi-metallic strip that heats up and break's contact. If you have a high resistance down stream it won't heat up and flash. I'd look for a bad or corroded connection first.

Kurt.

The thing that makes a flasher work is a bi-metallic strip that heats up and break's contact. If you have a high resistance down stream it won't heat up and flash. I'd look for a bad or corroded connection first.

Kurt.
can I test by running power directly from battery?
I checked and cleaned fuses and cleaned ground where flasher mounts to firewall.