• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Various stuff.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Went to visit some friends near the Jersey Shore this weekend. About 20 of us got together to watch the Jackson-Barrett Auction on TV Saturday night (it's a yearly thing).

I brought my camera, but the batteries had quit (even though they were fresh. So sorry; no photos).

Our host, Tom has a <span style="text-decoration: underline">red MGB</span> vintage racer that I've seen at races. He restored it quite nicely....it's an old EMRA championship car from the 80s. Since I raced EMRA events for many years, I have some memory of it (and the owner).

But I had never seen the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Austin-Healey 3000</span> that he restored. He bought it at an estate sale along with a <span style="text-decoration: underline">nice '70 Mustang. </span>Both cars are perfect. For a guy with no formal training (he teaches culinary arts), his automotive skills are top notch.

Interestingly, the day he finally finished the Healey (a few years ago), he and his wife drove it to Canada for a Healey event at a racetrack (I think Shannonville). While he was there, he rode shotgun around the track in his newly restored car with our own Michael Orrit. After seeing Michael drive his car at the limit, he told me was hooked and started looking for a race car right away.

Tom just bought a very cheap <span style="text-decoration: underline">MGB-GT</span> parts car. Bad rockers, but he wanted the engine (for a race spare) so he didn't care. But his son (a college student) wanted it. So they'd patched it up and now junior is driving this GT.
By the by, Tom had just bought <span style="text-decoration: underline">another MGB</span> before we got there (again, a ratty parts car, mostly so he could build a spare engine)

One of the other guys that showed up was Mike who races an MGB-GT with us. There was also another Spridget and TR-6 owner along with a guy who seems to own most of the surviving Rickman-Triumph motocycles. Most of the guys were members of the <span style="font-style: italic">MG Car Club-Central Jersey</span> or the <span style="font-style: italic">Positive Earth Driver's Club.</span>
We stayed overnight and decided to tour the area on Sunday.

During our ride we saw:

A <span style="text-decoration: underline">1500 Spitfire</span> in Ocean Grove (obviously a car that was driven....it was in a 2 hour parking zone).

A <span style="text-decoration: underline">perfect '62 Corvette</span> in Deal just like the $100,000 jobs we'd seen on the B-J Auctions the night before. It was also parked in a 2 hour zone and covered with salty, slushy snow.

Two <span style="text-decoration: underline">classic Land Rovers</span>.

A <span style="text-decoration: underline">Toyota Land Cruiser</span>(like Drew's).

A nice older, <span style="text-decoration: underline">XJ-6</span> (I think these are really undervalued).

Since this is the nice area of the Jersey Shore (Deal, Rumson, Sea Girt, Avon, Sea Bright, etc), we saw the usual <span style="text-decoration: underline">Ferraris</span>, plenty of <span style="text-decoration: underline">7 series BMWs</span>, a <span style="text-decoration: underline">Maserati</span> and some <span style="text-decoration: underline">Bentleys</span>. Amazing that folks will drive these things on salty roads, but I guess it's only money.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Quite the automotive weekend Nial. I saw a snowplow...

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yeah, snow plows here too.

I forgot to mention:

We also drove past the Stone Pony (below)

And we cruised past the NJ National Guard display in Sea Girt where they have several tanks, helicopters and the "Ford" and F-84 (also below.....I didn't take these photos)

tumblr_lh6sw0gEkH1qgp5b3o1_500.jpg

3967850414_4f1700a96c_z.jpg

3967087539_1b35b702a8_z.jpg