• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Serial Numbers and various topics BN4

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Good day all,
Soooo, OK... I am ordering seats and such today but, admittedly, a tiny bit uncertain about which car I have...

On the main plate I have a serial number BN4L -0- 54767... along with a metal tag under the main plate with a serial number of 936.

My restoration manual is just adding to my confusion...

I THINK that this is a Longbridge assembled car.

Sooo, when I order seats and upholstery I should order the parts for a pre-68959 serial number ???

Also, does it make a difference if I order the metal base seats rather than the wooden based ones???

By the by... If anyone has a set of seats or seat frames that are unwanted.... let's talk...

Thanks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Without any replies I am feeling lonely out here. I KNOW that there is a GURU out there that can quote scripture and verse when it comes the to history of the BIG HEALEY..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Country flag
Order using the BN4l-0-54767 number. That is what Moss and others go by for body ID. The last 5 digits are the ones that tell when it was made and what parts it left the factory with (if you are lucky). Changes are listed by that number. I'm into originality so I'd go with what it came with form the factory 9regarding the wood vs. metal issue).

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ron - the best thing for you to do is to check out Derek Job's website www.healeysix.net and go to the production pages. It will tell you the highest known number for a Longbridge-built car was #54285 built in Dec 1957. You certainly are close to that #, perhaps you could have the highest #ed Longbridge car? You do have the 6porthead?, correct? jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Jim and Tahoe Healey, Thanks for the comments.

I went to the website, Jim, and found it to be of immense value.... According to the production info, my BN4 was built in Abington and is a 'Batch 1', built in early 1958....probably January based upon the engineering change data at the bottom of the article..

Thanks again for all of your help... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tahoe Healey.... I, too, tend to be anal about my restorations.... wood it will be...

Thanks

markshaw

Ron,
I have a batch 1 BN4 #59127 seriel #1913.The date built is at home however I think it was April 58. If you have a 6 port head car built in January 58 it is most likely a "Abbington built Lingbridge" car.(If the engine is original it may have been painted Morris Green as mine was) This means it has all of the Longbridge early "stuff" however was assembled at the Abbibgton factory. That is what I have determined about my car. I purchased mine in January 1974 as a project to keep me out of the bars. It worked however not much got done on the car because of marrage, houses and children. 30 years later I finally re-started on the project (Dec 04.) Now almost two years and to many thousands later I can see the light!!! I have much information for you if you are interested. Please feel free to e-mail me by responding or at my e-mail address mas@aaasne.com
Mark Shaw in Rhode Island

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ron

I'm glad you found the web site useful. With the help of several others I am continuing to update the Longbridge Features as new material comes available.

AS others have pointed out , your car is an Abingdon built car with the Longbridge features. In terms of seats it means your car should be fitted with seats exactly like those found in a 100. You can see them on the web site if you haven't already done so. These are different from the later BN4s and 3000s that followed.

send me a jpeg and I'll add your car to the photo gallery