• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Transmission Rebuild

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi All,

I will be removing my BT7 side shift transmission within the next few weeks to rebuild it, primary the replacement of synchronizers and bearings. It’s been close to 35 years since I last had this transmission apart, so my memory has essentially vanished. I will be sending the overdrive out for disassembly, inspection, and any overhauling that may be required.

Any advise, suggestions, hints, or other comments that may ease the process would be greatly appreciated. One thing I wish to confirm, is that the transmission/overdrive unit can be removed by lowering it from underneath the car.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,
The gearbox comes out from the interior side. Remove the seats and the tunnel etc. Just be glad you don't have a BJ8 in this case.
Alan T

I beleive it is usual to remove from with in the car via removing the tunnel. You need to do this to get to all the nuts, bolts, and wires anyway. Good time to replace U-joints too. Maybe even put in an after market oil seal on the rear of the engine. I replace the brass bushing in the fly wheel. Some replace the fly wheel with a lighter one. Of course the clutch should be checked. Paint marks in the drive shaft for re-alignment and take photos original position of stuff. When you take out the seats and carpet put down some plywood and you can then jockey it out alone with out any pulley systems. The BJ8 weighs about 125 pounds but can easily be gotten out by one (older) person. Good time to heat insulate the tunnel too. I did mine outside and inside. Cannot tell yet if it is cooler since the air temps are in the teens here but it is much quieter.

Yes, that is correct, the transmission/OD will just lift up and out the passenger side. Have help handy, or a engine hoist with rope/chain attached. It is heavy. It has to be first pulled back to clear the engine (have the engine supported with a floor jack). Now the tran/OD can be slid back then up and out the passenger side. Good idea to replace clutch and engine bearing while out.
Good Luck, /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

ronr, a very good article on removing the trans and other healey tech. can be found by searching "big healey technical archives" just scan down to "austin healey" and pick the tech article you want. ill be ripping down the trans from my bj7 in a couple of weeks also to do the synchs, bearings and install a rear oil seal kit,good luck.

I have pulled my BT7 tranny a few times recently. I don't want go into why I had to pull it 3 times within the last 18 months! I have learned a couple of helpful hints I picked up along the way:
After everything is disconnected, put jacks under both the tranny and the engine and slowly raise them together just a little bit to help clear the frame. This helps when you go to pull it back (the tranny tends to get hung up on the frame). You will also need to rotate (on the shaft) the tranny so it will clear the firewall when you pull it back. I put 2 loops of rope around the front and back of the tranny. I used them to hold on to so I could muscle the tranny out of the cockpit a little easier. I also used a piece of plywood to span the frame and door sill - this helps to minimize the risk of damage to the sill. I also put dynamat extreme insulation on the tunnel and floor while I had the tranny out. Overall it's not to bad of a job - I have done it without help and it has takes me most of a morning to get it out. Good luck
Bill L

Yes Bill, the rope serves as good handles. However, a pair of old fan belts works a treat too. When placing one around the rear tranny yoke make sure the tranny is in a selected gear so it will not rotate.--Fwiw--Keoke