• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Silly '75 Midget 50th Anniversary Question

RocknTommy

Are there any differences on a 50th Anniversary Midget other than the badge on the dash? Some '75 Midgets have it and some do not. Is there a story?

bugimike

Yoda
Since the 50th Anniversary for the Spridget was this year (1958-2008), I would say that any badge found on the dash would be an add-on put there by the owner. 1975 was not an anniversary year!

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
1975 was the 50th anniversary of MG and several commemorative items were produced that year to help boost sales. I've seen a lamp with a plastic Tiffany type shade which had images of both 'Old Number One' and a MGB on it. I believe that there were ashtrays and other items as well. The anniversary dash badge was probably a dealer add on, sort of like the "special" stripes on some Midgets. Here's a print ad run that year. https://www.adclassix.com/ads/75mgb1.htm

OP
RocknTommy

RocknTommy

It is more than a dealer add on since the dash has been molded for the badge. So they definitely had two types of dashes produced that year.
mgdash.jpg

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
That's nice Tommy, very unique. The first one I've seen. Definitely a keeper, save that dash if at all possible.

OP
RocknTommy

RocknTommy

bill_young said:
That's nice Tommy, very unique. The first one I've seen. Definitely a keeper, save that dash if at all possible.

I bought this one off of Ebay years ago since it was the only one I could find in good condition to replace my extremely cracked one.

Here is another Ebay

bugimike

Yoda
Sorry about my previous post, did not even consider MGs 50th :blush: ! I was just thinking Spridget :crazyeyes: !! That does look unique and quite special!! :thumbsup:

Rik

Jedi Hopeful
I always thought that all the 75 Midgets sold in the states had the Anniversary Dashs in them.
Rik

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
1975 was the anniversary of 'Old Number One' so the factory built 751 'Jubilee' MGB GT's to commemorate that event; they also did 1 Midget 'Jubilee' and 1 MGB roadster. To carry the 50th theme to the entire car line, some '75 MGB's & Midgets had the molded in 50th badge - not all, some starting somewhere around the middle of the year.....but, its no big deal other than the dash is hard to find.

OP
RocknTommy

RocknTommy

Thanks for the additional info.
Searched all over and found zero information on what
the 50th Anniversary was all about. Did find some
MGBs with this tag as well. My '75 originally came
with just a standard dash like GeeBee1s.
So it is just comes down to a dash with a badge. :wink:

yb710

Freshman Member
I am the original owner of a '75 Midget with the Anniversary Badge. Purchased in November of '75...still have the car. Forget the build date and too much trouble to look it up as it is in storage for the winter. It came with gold MG badges on the front bumper and on the trunk lid. The MG badge on the steering wheel had a gold background. Other than that, it was the same. I still have the original dash badge but found some NOS badges being sold by Triple-C a couple of years ago. Bought two just in case for about eight bucks apiece, I think it was. Not all '75 Midgets were Anniversary Models just as not all MGB's were...there are some '75 B's out there with the dash badge also. Over the years, the gold tone vanishes so that you have a badge that looks like any other badge...chrome silver. The gold badges are still available from the usual suppliers.

Came from the factory that way...not a dealer add-on!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
as I recall, for MGB's there were plaques with (I think) the owners names on them but no one ever kept track of who got what - also (I think) a dealer add on so there wasn't a consistent location

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
John-Peter...the 75th cars had an inset in the dash where the badge went...so, if a car is one of those, the octagon inset is clearly visible even if the outside badges have faded.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The one I'm referring to is a rectangular one on B's. I don't think they were ever on Midgets

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
JPSmit said:
The one I'm referring to is a rectangular one on B's. I don't think they were ever on Midgets
Ah, you're talking about the Jubilee edition - 750 of them...there was 1 Midget with that plate.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
that's what I was thinking of - thanks