• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Pulled the trigger. Bought a MGA Twin Cam

Country flag
After looking at the car three times, I gave in and bought a 59 Twin Cam MGA. Owner knew what he had, so it was no steal but figured when was I going to have another chance to buy one plus it was less than a 100 miles from home. Engine is out but together. Rockers have rust but rest of the car is solid and straight. Guess what I'll be doing this Winter.

Marv

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice. Definitely need pictures. :smile:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Good luck, Marvin. I bought one new in 1959. White with black interior. What color is yours? (Maybe it was mine...)It was a much tighter car than an Austin healey with better steering and ride. A bit heavy in the front end compared to my brother's regular MGA, but no rattles. The handbrake didn't work too well because of the disc brakes - first car to offer them on all four wheels as I recall.I had to run 3 different heat ranges of Champion plugs to prevent fouling in city driving. N-3, N-5 & N-8. If you have that trouble, try my fix. It worked. I got calls from all over the East from as far as Washington, DC. I had the car for 6 months, then traded it for a new VW sunroof because I was commuting to NYC to law school. Got over a grand back with the Beetle as I recall over 50 years later. Where did the years go?

OP
Marvin Gruber
Country flag
I'm not that computer savvy, never posted a picture here. Basil, I might send you a picture and let you post it. Got to do a medical thing this week. then I'll take a couple of pictures.

BTW, this one was Ardent red with black Interior (YD3/1309) 1959
Marv

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I'm not that computer savvy, never posted a picture here. Basil, I might send you a picture and let you post it. Got to do a medical thing this week. then I'll take a couple of pictures.

BTW, this one was Ardent red with black Interior (YD3/1309) 1959
Marv

Ain't rocket science, Marvin. Watch this:

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good luck, Marvin. I bought one new in 1959. White with black interior. What color is yours? (Maybe it was mine...)It was a much tighter car than an Austin healey with better steering and ride. A bit heavy in the front end compared to my brother's regular MGA, but no rattles. The handbrake didn't work too well because of the disc brakes - first car to offer them on all four wheels as I recall.I had to run 3 different heat ranges of Champion plugs to prevent fouling in city driving. N-3, N-5 & N-8. If you have that trouble, try my fix. It worked.

Early engines had some plug oiling issues, solved later in the run with dirrefent rings. You only need one plug for a Twin Cam, as long as it is NGK, not Champion, which seem to have narrower hear ranges.

The first car to come with 4 wheel discs wasn't the MGA, it was the Jensen 541 (unless you want to include the Healey 100S which was a special race model they built only 50 of).

Good luck with the Twin Cam - great cars, and get in touch if you want to know any mechanical trivia on them (like how to prevent piston burning).

OP
Marvin Gruber
Country flag
Here we go, my first attempt to post a picture. I got the twin cam motor assembled today. IT was like putting a puzzle together without the pieces. Thankfully I had an old B motor to use bolts from.
104_2040.jpg

Whew, looks like it worked. I'll post one of the body later.

Marv

Last edited by a moderator: