• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Painting 1275 engine - Questions

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
As I said in an earlier post I've started rebuilding my 1275 engine. I'm going to paint the block red to match the pre-painted Longeman cyl. head.
Im going to paint it before I build the bottom end so as to prevent any rusting.

So I've cleaned the block, it's on the engine stand.

Recommendations on prep. work to do and best type of primer and paint to use? (Spray paint cans)

Thanks...

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
I won't recommend a special prep since I just wipe the block with thinner and rattle can them but if the freeze plugs are out and you paint the block make sure you mask out the sealing surface. I have seen them pop out of painted blocks.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have always jut put the paint straight on, no primer, of course clean good with mineral spirits or some such.

62Migit

Country flag
I hope I'll be painting the engine/transmission in the next few weeks, too. I was thinking an aluminum/bare metal color; I'd like my engine area to look clean and I think the light colors let you spot leaking fluids just in case. I don't think any primer is applied with engine enamels, just 2-3 light coats out of the rattle can of your favorite color, a few minutes between coats. I've heard good things about Duplicolor engine enamels (and wow do they have a variety of colors). They even have instructional videos on their site. In my area, only the auto parts stores carry their products.

Mark

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
When I've painted B engines, like others no real prep, just make sure it's clean. If you use Moss paints, you might want to clear coat it with Duplicolor Rattle can clear. The Moss paints will bleach if coolant gets on them. It's probably a good idea to clear coat it anyway.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Bruce, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, but I would have regretted not painting mine green. If you have your reasons, that is fine, but now is the time on this decision.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bugeye engines and trannys are Bugeye green.

Enough said.

Country flag
Duplicolor has many colors of engine paints, but often a parts store will only stock a dozen or so. You might try your local autopaint store or detailing shop.

I will most likely paint mine ... green.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Trevor Jessie said:
I will most likely paint mine ... green.

I painted mine AH green too! LOLOL! oops wrong forum! But seriously, when the time comes I'll paint my spridget engine austin green.

Attachments

• 5536-EngineBayNsmall.jpg
    5536-EngineBayNsmall.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 67

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
[/quote]

I painted mine AH green too! [/quote]

I have made that mistake meself, as well. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

Pat

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
The B engines came red-orange. A engines came green or black, though I have seen red heads. Maybe some other colours. Does anyone know?

Try to stay away from Ford blue, Chevy orange or Chrysler turquoise. (though I have seen blue Mini engines) You don't want your car to look like a Chevy or Ford do you?

Bugeye58

Yoda
A engines also came in gold, denoting a factory rebuilt "Gold Seal" engine. For the Spridget variants anyway. I've seen red engines in Minors, but don't know if that was an original color or not.
Jeff

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sitting here hoping that my Chevy orange 1275 is mistaken for a '63 split window Corvette....lol....

bugimike

Yoda
Opting for practicality over originality, I painted mine Cummins beige. I like the color and oil leaks etc. show up nicely on it! Topped it with a crinkle-finish valve cover and it looked sweet! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Attachments

• 5537-1275.jpg
    5537-1275.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 43

bugimike

Yoda
Kim, original is almost a BDU green ( /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pukeface.gif ) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
bugimike said:
Opting for practicality over originality, I painted mine Cummins beige. I like the color and oil leaks etc. show up nicely on it! Topped it with a crinkle-finish valve cover and it looked sweet! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

A local guy here has a MGB V8 and he painted his Rover Engine Cummins Beige, it looks great! Also, glad to see you have a can of 'wrenching fuel' near your engine too! LOL!

dklawson

Yoda
I chose Austin-Healey green from POR-15. This is a brush-on enamel but you can thin it with mineral spirits to spray items like valve covers. Blocks, being rough, take brush painting very well. The POR paint was excellent. One brush-on coat did an excellent job of covering and the paint has held up much better than spray paints I've used. They have other colors and perhaps they have a red that will match your Longman head.

See my engine at:
https://home.mindspring.com/~dklawson/minipics/EngineCompartment1.jpg