• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New SS Exhaust on sale on ebay

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I installed one a few months ago and it has to be one of the prettiest pieces of hardware around. Well engineered and built. Moss deserves a big thank you for bringing this to market.
I entered my first car show a few weeks ago and wish I had a mirror under the car to show off the system. It will be very painful when I meet my first speed bump....

Hoghead

Jedi Trainee
I have been thinking of putting the earlier style exhaust on my BJ8 to get that proper big Healey sound
Is this a straightforward mod?

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can't answer for sure but I would think it should be straight forward. You would loose the rear muffler of your current set up, but the Tourist Trophy SS system I installed is no louder than the mild steel one I removed so I don't think you'll feel the new system is too loud.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I have been thinking of putting the earlier style exhaust on my BJ8 to get that proper big Healey sound
Is this a straightforward mod?
We had a guy in our club fit this, MOSS, system to his BJ8 and it was extremely loud. I think he has now switched back to a more original type of system(with resonators).
See if you can meet with some other Healey owners and listen to their Healeys before making this decision. It's not cheap and then there's the installation too. I installed a Bell System for a BJ8 and I'm very happy with it.

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
We had a guy in our club fit this, MOSS, system to his BJ8 and it was extremely loud. I think he has now switched back to a more original type of system(with resonators).
See if you can meet with some other Healey owners and listen to their Healeys before making this decision. It's not cheap and then there's the installation too. I installed a Bell System for a BJ8 and I'm very happy with it.
I have this system and actually felt it was not as loud as the stock mild steel system that was on the car. I like the tourist trophy and feel it does make the big Healey sound. I think the Bell system is also a very good option , do some youtube searching for sound clips.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll let you know how it sounds on my BJ7 in a couple of weeks...with luck.
Dale

OP
trotti

trotti

If anyone's interested I can post a sound clip of the exhaust - BJ7 engine living inside a 100-6. Sounds throaty and has good pickup.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, please post the sound clip. Always post the sound clip.:D

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I appreciate that many on this thread may not appreciate my comments but I am a little surprised in the level of interest for SS as my only perspective for choosing SS is rust longevity. Personally, if I were interested in a new exhaust system, my evaluation would be on price, quality, sound, and fit. Since my present ANSA system, purchased on sale from Moss in 1988, is going strong and sounds great, I would expect longevity to be almost a given and Healeys from BJ8P1s and prior are more vulnerable to road hazards, dips, and railroad track crossings then the rain and snow of years back. So, why choose SS?

Last, to protect my mufflers and resonator from the road hazards mentioned, I had welded a 1" wide skid strip to the bottom each muffler. Since mufflers often have a blunt front that can easily catch on a number of hazards (hole edge, etc.), I have extended the front of the skid strip forward and angled upward to allow the muffler to slide over without catching. Since BJ8P1s have resonators on low frames, I have also attached multiple skid strips to the bottom of my resonators to help it survive beyond such common issues as driveway dips etc.

Again, what is the reason for choosing SS for an exhaust?

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I appreciate your comments Ray.

I was sitting on the fence trying to decide which way to go. SS or not. I'm hoping to need a muffler system very soon so I'm getting excited. SS is very pretty! I've been looking at ugly rust for decades. I have also been witness to steel mufflers rusting out just from sitting in storage. I'm going to drive my car but I live in NY state. The car will spend more than half of it's life in storage.

For me those reasons where enough to spend a couple of bucks more.

Dale

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
They're absolutely beautiful. I know that seems superficial, but then again, my Nissan Altima is a far better car than my Healey but it will never turn people's heads the way the 3000 does. Sometimes logic isn't the main consideration in a decision.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Dale,

Very good points and I can't disagree with anything you have said or your motivation for choosing a SS exhaust. And, I can't argue with trying to pick the SS that provides the preferred sound or looking for the best price. However, with the quality of care I bet you are providing your Healey, how much risk of deterioration is there with any exhaust system you install and how long do you expect a non-SS to last.

Living at the NJ Shore, our winters are wet and cold with a lot of snow in recent years. However, although I don't usually drive my Healey on less then perfect winter days on dry roads, I do try to take it out for an hour or 2 at least once every 2 weeks. Yes, my ANSA exhaust system is not SS and I try to keep it painted black, but I can say that rust has not seemed to be an issue and I attribute that to when, where, and how long I now drive. To be clear, I try to reduce the potential of rusting from the inside by driving long enough to evaporate the acidic combustion mix that kills mufflers from the inside. As a result of treating my Healey, and its exhaust in this manor, I am now in my 27th year of exhaust installation and still going strong. How long do you expect to have your SS?

Dale, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to change your mind on selecting an SS. However, when I am in a position to need a exhaust replacement (probably from an encounter with a road hazard), I am still leaning toward making my choice on sound, price, etc. and not rust resistance.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ray,

I think that you just boiled it down to black vs shiny. :highly_amused: I don't go with shiny every time. I like satin black. I chose shiny this time.

The NJ Shore has very similar weather as the finger lakes. Wet and cold. The salt mines are close by. That's probably why our DOT uses so much of it. It's hard to find a winter or early spring day that doesn't have a white layer on the blacktop road. I'm not going to baby this car but driving in the salt is just mean.

Dale

Country flag
Am I the only one who thinks shiny SS exhaust systems don't look right on a Healey? Like with animals, the exhaust system is necessary, but not something you necessarily want to attract attention to. We put a Falcon SS exhaust on our 100M, but not until we scuffed the surface and painted it with satin black coating. My BJ8 needs a new exhaust and I may end up buying the TT system and painting it (unless I can find a good mild steel one).

This stuff works really well: https://www.designengineering.com/c...exhaust-wraps-accessories/ht-silicone-coating

Like Ray pointed out, you will likely destroy your exhaust system through banging and grinding it on steep driveways, deep dips and high-centering before it rusts out.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Longevity while maintaining the overall performance like the original unit.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Longevity while maintaining overall performance like the original unit.

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Like Ray pointed out, you will likely destroy your exhaust system through banging and grinding it on steep driveways, deep dips and high-centering before it rusts out.

Well BOB, this isn't predicted to change even with a steel aftermarket exhaust since all the mufflers seem to be round.

Country flag

Well BOB, this isn't predicted to change even with a steel aftermarket exhaust since all the mufflers seem to be round.

Mild steel mufflers are cheaper than SS, and will last just as long given the way our cars are typically driven and the abuse they'll receive. Shiny SS mufflers are a vanity proposition--and if you like them that's fine with me--but if you drive your car in the real world you'll tear 'em up just as fast as the (cheaper) mild steel ones.

I have remnants of an Ansa system that is nearly 30 years old on my BJ8 and the pipes are perfect; the mufflers and resonators have been replaced twice due to accidental abuse. Also, mild steel is an easier weld.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The ebay price for SS was no more than the regular mild steel. So I can't lose. If I don't like shiny I can always paint it black.
If I had to go full price you've convinced me that mild steel would be just fine.

Bob, did you wrap your exhaust manifold? Or any part of the exhaust system? Mine is not installed yet so its a good time to consider it.
The vendor that you recommended silicone paint has wrap to.
"This stuff works really well: https://www.designengineering.com/ca...licone-coating"